Solved! HDMI switch works with one TV but not another

Nov 26, 2018
Hello everyone!

I got a new TCL 55S405 4K Roku TV for Black Friday and am having difficulties getting it to work with my HDMI switch, a Portta N3SWT31. For the last five years I have had my XBox One (launch edition), XBox 360 (Slim), and PS3 (original) all connected via HDMI to this Portta switch and have had no problems with it attached to my Samsung LN40A550 TV, so I was rather surprised when I moved the HDMI Out of the Portta switch from the Samsung to the TCL and was greeted by nothing but a blank screen (no signal).

I've tried hooking the switch up to all three HDMI input ports on the TCL, and also tried switching the HDMI settings on the TV ports to v1.4, v2.0, and Auto, but none of these changes (in any combination) had any effect. When I take the switch's output cable and plug it back into my Samsung TV, everything works as it has the past five years! I also tried plugging each of my devices directly into the HDMI ports on the TCL (bypassing the switch) and that works fine, so I know the TV ports are not busted.

Am I missing something here? Was there some new technology incorporated into the TCL TV which would make my switch not work correctly anymore, even though the consoles themselves haven't changed at all? I know the switch is only HDMI 1.3b compliant whereas the TCL TV is HDMI 2.0 compliant, but I thought HDMI 2.0 was backwards compatible with HDMI 1.3b so I didn't expect it to be a problem.

Any help from you guys and gals would be MUCH appreciated. Thanks!

Solution
HDMI depends on the sources, switchers, cables, and displays to all meet minimum standards to work together. If one of these is worse than the standard and another is better than the standard they might compensate for each other and will work. Change one part of the chain and boom. What worked doesn't anymore.
You can try a different cable from the switcher to the TV but you may well have to change the switcher.
HDMI depends on the sources, switchers, cables, and displays to all meet minimum standards to work together. If one of these is worse than the standard and another is better than the standard they might compensate for each other and will work. Change one part of the chain and boom. What worked doesn't anymore.
You can try a different cable from the switcher to the TV but you may well have to change the switcher.

Solution