HDMI tv.. HDMI ARC and optical dig audio

Bob-Oldguy

Estimable
Jan 15, 2015
I have a Sony TV approx 6 yrs old it has an HDMI port and no Optical dig audio. I have a new Panasonic sound bar with HDMI ARC and opt dig audio ports.
Am I ever going to be able to connect the two ???

Solution
The dvd player can connect to the Soundbar using hdmi. Then the soundbar connects to the tv using hdmi. You need to be using Hdmi cables that have the Arc (version 1.4).Your tv will send its own sound to the soundbar using ARC (audio return channel) through the hdmi cable you connected between the soundbar and the tv. GFX is what the pc communities call the graphics card in a pc,I presumed you were connecting a pc too.

Yamitime

Estimable
Sep 4, 2014
You can simply connect the HDMI cable from your GFX to the soundbar then connect the HDMI out from the soundbar to the tv .The ARC will send your tv programmes audio from the tv down the same hdmi cable you have attached to it.Giving you sound to soundbar from pc ,sound to soundbar from tv. Enjoy.

Bob-Oldguy

Estimable
Jan 15, 2015

Bob-Oldguy

Estimable
Jan 15, 2015
Thanks for your time, What is a GFX ? the only other equipment I have attached is a Sony DVD recorder which has one HDMI port. As the TV only has one HDMI port do you mean that I should connect maybe the DVD recorder to the sound bar and then the sound bar to the TV ? I think understand that I can use the sound bar with its optical digital audio cables to connect to more modern items etc ( DVD has no modern optical facility ) but am not sure of the HDMI bit.
Thanks again

Yamitime

Estimable
Sep 4, 2014
The dvd player can connect to the Soundbar using hdmi. Then the soundbar connects to the tv using hdmi. You need to be using Hdmi cables that have the Arc (version 1.4).Your tv will send its own sound to the soundbar using ARC (audio return channel) through the hdmi cable you connected between the soundbar and the tv. GFX is what the pc communities call the graphics card in a pc,I presumed you were connecting a pc too.

Solution

Bob-Oldguy

Estimable
Jan 15, 2015

Bob-Oldguy

Estimable
Jan 15, 2015
I purchased a couple of HDMI ARC cables and connected in the way you suggested, it worked perfectly which is a considerable relief as I do not think I would have been able to return to Curry's. So job done ! thanks very much for your time It is greatly appreciated.

Mikeyjay

Estimable
Mar 23, 2015

If you get an HDMI to Optical adapter, you can switch between whatever you need the sound eminating from...TV, monitor, soundbar, blu-ray player, android box...works with them all. Hope that works for you Old-Guy.