HDMI TV to analog Surround Sound system...

Capt Tom

Estimable
Oct 6, 2015
Our new LG OLED TV has HDMI only.
I want to get TV audio to our ancient but but well performing Pioneer VSX-D1S receiver.

I've researched several 'switcher boxes' but have no idea which ones are the best quality or would
accomplish the task at hand.....transferring audio only.

Solution

If you use that switcher, then you could connect multiple RCA cables from the decoder to the amplifier inputs on the Pioneer. Right now there are jumpers from the preamp out to the amp in. If you choose to do that you will get true surround sound, but none of the other functions will work on the Pioneer.

Unless you have need for HDMI switching beyond whatever the LG has for inputs, I would use the optical output from the LG through a converter like I linked...

Capt Tom

Estimable
Oct 6, 2015

Yes it does...would that the the best transfer option? I've been told the quality would suffer using an optical connection.
The VSX-D1S has no optical inputs.

guanyu210379

Distinguished
VSX-D1S is too old and it does not have optical input or HDMI-ARC or whatever.

The following should be compatible:
Does the TV have the red and white audio out, I forgot what they are called, RCA output? If yes, use this.
Does the TV have headphone output jack? If yes, you can use this too.

Actually, it is time to upgrade the VSX-D1S.

Capt Tom

Estimable
Oct 6, 2015

Capt Tom

Estimable
Oct 6, 2015

The switcher you link to would not help you because your receiver doesn't have a 5.1 channel analog input. You could connect the switcher to the amp inputs but that would not allow the receiver to play with anything else and you would also have no way to adjust volume.
Since you have a headphone jack the easy solution is to connect that to the receiver. You just need a cable with a stereo mini plug at one end and 2 RCA plugs at the other. Cheap and cheerful as the Brits say.
The DAC that kanewolf suggests would also work fine but doesn't offer a major advantage unless you want to use the TV speakers sometimes without disconnecting a cable.

kanewolf

Judicious

If you use that switcher, then you could connect multiple RCA cables from the decoder to the amplifier inputs on the Pioneer. Right now there are jumpers from the preamp out to the amp in. If you choose to do that you will get true surround sound, but none of the other functions will work on the Pioneer.

Unless you have need for HDMI switching beyond whatever the LG has for inputs, I would use the optical output from the LG through a converter like I linked earlier to the TV input on the Pioneer. That way all the normal functions of the Pioneer still function.

Solution

kanewolf

Judicious

It could have 5.1 inputs. The preamp has external jumpers to the amps. You could remove those jumpers and use the Pioneer as just a multichannel amp. I don't recommend it, but it is technically possible.

Capt Tom

Estimable
Oct 6, 2015

Our Samsung sounded very good running thru the RCA audio connections. I've been told that the optical was not the best option even on the relatively short 4' run from amp to TV. I guess the most important thing is to make sure Dolby Pro Logic is supported on whatever converter I
get.

Thanks kanewolf.....I'll just do the optical in, RCA out thru a Pro Logic enabled box. KISS