HDTV any good

Niklas_13

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2009
Hello guy/gals, I seen this 55 incher http://www.lg.com/us/tvs/lg-55LS4600-led-tv @ best buy for 999.99 Thinking about getting it for my main TV

I know it dont have smart or 3D and i dont care about that, i have a PS3 and 5.1

I like to know if its a good to very good HDTV for blu ray HD and STB ( I know its not the best ) :) but its 1K VS 1500 and up for the other models

What do you guys think ?

Other TVs i have Samsung 40 " LCD 6 650 really like this one

Sanyo 55 Inch its soso < cant bitch for 650 bucks tho http://hometheaterreview.com/sanyo-dp55441-55-inch-120hz-lcd-hdtv-reviewed/

Think the LG 55 whould be alot better then that Sanyo ?

Also whats the best Calabration programe to use thats not a arm and leg ? iam not paying best buy to do it for 250 bucks, iam a cheepo :) but will spend about 50 to do it myself on all my HDTVs

Thanks all

Solution
going with lg, samsung or sony is most likely a better option than sanyo, olevia, and other cheap knock off brands. you get what you pay for.

as far as 3dtv goes it depends. is 3d that important to you? personally i feel that it looks like crud and only serves to destroy your eyesight. the only feature i've seen which looks useable for ps3 is the splitscreen mode being interlaced across the whole screen. two shutter glasses at different intervals divide the images up. however the ps3 is only capable of processing so much data so you might have a problem playing at max resolutions. i haven't tested this myself though so it is just my opinion.

120hz or 240hz isn't a vast improvement over 60hz. if anything is is detrimental to gaming...

trepxe

Honorable
Feb 14, 2012

You're decision seems ok but might I give you a little insight. You might want 3D as an option for your TV, ESPECIALLY if your going to game a lot. You made a solid choice choosing a LG TV but their TVs shine in the area of smart/3D TV. Plus I'm sure if you read the numerous other threads regarding this matter, 3D capability enhances your TV's ability in 2D, in other words, the hardware is better.

Now I understand there are some 2012 TVs that are over the $999 you plan on spending so I'll suggest you something better. You should look at the 55" LW5300 which should be priced about the same however it will be a 2011 model (doesn't matter much). You can think of the smart tv as a bonus but the 3D is what you want. The glasses are also cheap but I believe most stores that sell this TV bundle them with 6 or more glasses + bluray player.

Ultimately the decision is yours and I wish you the best HDTV /gaming experience.

going with lg, samsung or sony is most likely a better option than sanyo, olevia, and other cheap knock off brands. you get what you pay for.

as far as 3dtv goes it depends. is 3d that important to you? personally i feel that it looks like crud and only serves to destroy your eyesight. the only feature i've seen which looks useable for ps3 is the splitscreen mode being interlaced across the whole screen. two shutter glasses at different intervals divide the images up. however the ps3 is only capable of processing so much data so you might have a problem playing at max resolutions. i haven't tested this myself though so it is just my opinion.

120hz or 240hz isn't a vast improvement over 60hz. if anything is is detrimental to gaming since it induces a visible lag between the game and the display on screen. if only playing video content it might look smoother depending on who is viewing the content. personally i dont see much gain over 60hz. game mode or 60hz mode does not always work right either on the televisions. something to think about. personally i find 60hz to be ideal.

you have a ps3 which can access netflix and the internet already. smartv is worthless to you.

monitor calibration? fiddle with the settings yourself and you will be fine. there is no need to have it professionally calibrated since it isn't critical.

---

my suggestion?

a relative recently purchased a brand new sony 1080p 60hz led backlit 50" television for about $500-600. no smart tv, no 3d, no unnecessary features. it works fine and is a great option for a limited budget.

you can then use the money you saved to buy a decent sound system, television stand or just bank the money.

---

just some advice from someone who doesnt believe every rumor mill i've seen. the decision is as always up to you though.

Solution