HDTV Audio woes

Aublaxer

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2009
Hello

I'm not sure if this is the exact place to post this, so feel free to move me.

I'm trying to hookup my PC to my TV to play all the movies and TV shows I have on it.

I'm having problems with audio playing from my TV's speaker with my new computer. It worked just fine with my old XP setup. I now got a Vista Ultimate x64 comp running, and the same way I hooked my audio up in my XP machine isn't working. Neither is any other way I thought of.

Pics of setup located @ http://www.flickr.com/photos/34329979@N05/

The way I hook up my PC to TV is through a DVI M to HDMI M. I have 2 dvi slots on my GTX 260. 1 for my PC monitor, and 1 for my Sony Bravia 32' TV.

Now I know the video card won't carry audio onto the HDMI, but if you look underneath the plugs for hdmi in this pic, you see holes for R-speaker and L-speaker (red and white cables)

So I bought this cable, which carries the red and white audio to a normal audio plug in (ipod, computers, etc) and just put that into my USB soundcard.

This, for whatever reason, doesn't seem to want to work anymore. When I plug in the audio cable to my soundcard + TV, it just produces static noises randomly, not just when I'm trying to play a Movie.

I have the latest drivers. Also with this motherboard came onboard sound, and that didn't work plugging into either. Weird because it has HD audio..

Could I solve my problem by buying real PC speakers, and then since the video works just fine, I can play the movie/tv shows sound out of the PC speakers?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

antiacid

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2008
hint 1: if you want to take close-up pictures, make sure to enable macro-mode on your camera to prevent blurry shots.

Now as for the static sounds, I'm thinking that there might be a problem with the cable itself. Can you confirm that the same cable works with a different TV or that it works if you plugged it into your ipod for example?

Another possible cause could be the 3.5mm jack that you are using. Is it in the correct socket? I ask because sometimes we all make silly mistakes.

If the cable and the jacks are all ok, then I'd try with a different sound card. Might not be practical but it could help narrowing down the problem.

I can't really think of any other things right now except perhaps on the software side. Drivers are ok? Does sound comes out normally if you plug in headphones?

I'll keep your problem in mind, see if I can think of anything else.

Good luck!

Grandizer

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2008
I am having the same problems, although I think I know more of what the problem is....

I have a LG 37LG50 and an ASUS P5B Deluxe MB with a 8800GS video card, the problem is once you hook up an HDMI cable to the back of the video, (with a DVI->HDMI converter), you get no audio, the reason being that DVI does NOT carry audio. So there is nothing feeding the audio portion on the HDMI plug.
You HAVE to connect to a audio source from the PC and send it to the TV.

I tried it, and found out that it will NOT take the standard outputs, 1/8 inch mini plugs, VISTA will only send out audio through a S/PDIF output either coaxial or digital?
The back of my TV only has outputs for those though...

There is a plug, (standard 1/8 inch) that is supposed to feed the audio when the SVGA plug is installed...

I tried to plug a 1/8 inch plug into the output on the MB and found that it is not the right plug for that, it goes in partway and stops.

Would love any help if anyone knows how to do this...

Strange I couldn't find any s/pdif cables at Newegg...

Grandizer

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2008

On my system I see the same thing as you in the sound properties, (plus I have a headphone option as well...)
When I have the HDMI cable plugged in, the ONLY audio it shows as available to use is the HD audio, AND in fact you can actually see the audio bar moving if you are doing this when playing a file with sound.
It even tells you what plug you have to be plugged into to get the sound out...
I however can not find the correct cable to go from the MB to the TV so this works...
Do I need some sort of intermediary hardware box?

rexter

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
Do you hear the show you're watching or just the static. If it's just the static then you're hearing digital signal. Setup your audio properties to output analog signal, From Flickr SS image, select speakers. Use 16bit @ 44100Hz or 16bit @ 44800Hz. you may hear static noise when use a higher settings.

Plug the audio cord to the green socket (front channel) on your PC direct to the TV. Do not use USB sound card. Also put the volumes on 50% to 70%.

Grandizer

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2008

No I hear nothing at all...
I did try all of the colored outputs on the back of the system MB, it is important to note though that as far as Vista is concerned, those ports are NONFUNCTIONAL when I have the HDMI cable plugged in.

In the sound options they are grayed out, only the Digital output is available and it says nothing is plugged into it...

rexter

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
No, if you set it on stereo those terminals becomes mic in for Pink, Audio in for black and audio out for green.

If you don't plug anything on the socket then your PC have the auto sensing on, Therefore you won't be able to select speakers on the sound properties.

The best way to set this up is through Realtek HD Audio Manager. You really need to select the speakers as that is where analog signals are output.

If you use HDMI then your signal can not be analog because it only use digital.

Grandizer

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2008

So I AM using an HDMI cable, through a DVI->HDMI converter...
I am pretty sure that is what then disables the System from using the speakers / headphones...
Here are a few pics....

LG37-1.png

Back of TV, for the PC I am using HDMI3

Back of MB...
MB-1.png

MB-2.png

rexter

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006

My apology; I've mistaken you for Aublaxer.

Your sound chip is AD1988 and uses Soundmax not Realtek. Can you open the soundmax manager?

Grandizer

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2008
At work currently will try when I get home.
Although I routinely do not put on that type of software, I will have to verify I have it loaded...
I will look for the newest version to bring home with me.

Thanks for the help, won't be back until Monday.

Grandizer

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2008

Well I got home and loaded the Soundmax sw.
And just like many people say, it kills your audio device in Vista, although people have a fix for this.

For the hell of it, I switched to a LONG SVGA cable and used the PC-RGB port and it worked as normal, and the sound worked through the front speaker outs to it.

Although I HAD 1920X1080 resolution, sometime over the weekend, when I switched back to it, from the TV I was watching, the resolution dropped, and the video shifted so that fully 1/3 of the screen has been shifted horizontally to the right, all the way off the screen. And using the built in TV adjustments will not allow me to move it to the left more than ~1/3 of what I need to move it by...
With the PC-RGB input, it also disables the "Just Scan" mode so it isn't selectable...
If I switch down to 1600X1024 everything goes back to normal, but now Vista doesn't even display the option to go back to the 1920X1080 resolution!

I am going back to the HDMI cable when I get home and see if I keep the audio, if so, I am golden...