Headphones/Headset for a budget gamer

rik123

Honorable
Sep 10, 2012
So to start things off, I know nothing about audio. I'm not looking for something that'll give me a crisp cinema experience when watching movies (I probably wouldn't even be able to appreciate the difference). All I really want are either headphones or a gaming headset that's decent enough to let me hear footsteps during first person shooters. To give some contrast, I have a pair of £27.99 UrbanEars Plattan headphones that lets me do this perfectly fine. I also have a mic, so a built in mic isn't required (but is always useful).

My only requirements are (and this is where my UrbanEars fail me), the headphones need to be comfy. My ears start hurting the moment I put the UrbanEars on, so I'm guessing a over-ear style headphone/headset is what I need? I'm also hoping to get open air style ones... Since I can't hear myself at all when I'm wearing normal headphones and end up shouting instead of whispering. Any time I try to google open air though... The price just shoots up, so that's my third and final requirement. Is it possible to get comfy, open air and decent headphones (sound quality doesn't need to be amazing - just at least as good as the UrbanEars I have) for a budget of £40 max?

Chugalug_

Estimable
Solution

rik123

Honorable
Sep 10, 2012
Oh sorry, so the headphone and headset you linked are open? I assumed they weren't because the descriptions don't mention anything about them being open air.

I don't require noise cancelling and DO want open backed ones.

Edit: Looked again and both of your links specifically say that they are both closed?

Chugalug_

Estimable
They ARE closed back, but the sound stages are great for both.
It pretty much creates an environment in which the sound is more isolated, and different elements are much clearer.
It can be a concern when the headphones in question aren't great, as it can sound tinny, but both the ones i've listed are good.
No need to worry.