Headphones USB jack sort of broke, need help/advice

Zangeki

Estimable
Jan 31, 2015
So I had my headphones plugged into my pc and I caught my leg on the wire as I was walking and ripped the jack out of the computer. Basically what had happened is that the USB jack cover, the metal bit you plug into the USB slot has come off and revealed the 4 pins, one of the pins snapped off and is now stuck inside the cover. I couldn't pull it out so I just left it in there and I put the other 3 pins in through the holes in the cover and pushed it back into the USB jack and somehow got it to stick but it's very wobbly. I plugged it into the pc and my headphones seem to work.

I need to know 2 things if possible.

1. Why are my headphones still working even though one of the 4 pins snapped? Not sure what the 4th pin should be for. Very confused.

2. Any idea how I can somehow attach the cover back onto the USB jack without it being wobbly or coming off when I pull it out of a tight USB slot?

Thanks

For reference, my headphones are the 7.1 Razer Krakens.

Solution
Usually there are 4. http://www.hobbytronics.co.uk/usb-connector-pinout
Using the above diagram there is almost no chance to mess it up. I've done this before using wires (harder) so in your case the pins are directly on the PCB - there are only 2 ways of soldering them on to the usb plug so that already gives you a 50% chance without the diagram :)

What i would do:

Get some old (known working) USB cable from a cheap mouse. Cut it about 20cm above the USB plug and just solder the wires directly to the PCB of the headphones. It should be easy enough.

emdea22

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2011
Advice: Stop buying Razer crap - this probably wouldn't have happened with a decent pair of headphones.

What actually broke? The usb connector from the headphones? The usb from the motherboard? Analog Jack connector *if any?

Mentioning "USB jack" is confusing as those are 2 different connectors. A picture would be helpful.

Zangeki

Estimable
Jan 31, 2015

The connector split into 2 halves basically. The left half being the part that connects to the wire that connects to the headphones, and the right half which is the metal cover covering the 4 pins connecting to the usb slot on the pc. The cover came off and 1 of the 4 pins has snapped off from the connector and is stuck inside the cover. I managed to put the cover back on and with the 3 pins remaining, the headphones still seem to be working fine, but the cover is very wobbly and it comes off when I plug it into a tight usb slot and try to remove it later. Although I feel like what isn't working anymore is the surround sound. I'm not too sure though.

Zangeki

Estimable
Jan 31, 2015

ct_usb_recovery_a.jpg

01%20recover%20data%20from%20bent%20usb%20stick%20dublin%20ireland%20.jpg

I can't take a picture right now, but here are 2 I found online which is exactly what happened to me. With the addition of one of the pins inside the cover snapping off.

emdea22

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2011
Solder the pin back in its place or get someone to do it for you. In case that doesn;t work you should be able to find a usb plug from some old mouse and use that as a replacement - soldering will be involved.

Zangeki

Estimable
Jan 31, 2015

Thanks for the advice, quick question

Will any usb connector work as a replacement? I mean I'm not too well versed in these things, but isn't this current connector made specifically for the headphones with how the pins are and how many there are? I know some connectors have 5 pins not 4. Just worried that if I were to try and replace the connectors, it may not work at all.

emdea22

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2011
Usually there are 4. http://www.hobbytronics.co.uk/usb-connector-pinout
Using the above diagram there is almost no chance to mess it up. I've done this before using wires (harder) so in your case the pins are directly on the PCB - there are only 2 ways of soldering them on to the usb plug so that already gives you a 50% chance without the diagram :)

What i would do:

Get some old (known working) USB cable from a cheap mouse. Cut it about 20cm above the USB plug and just solder the wires directly to the PCB of the headphones. It should be easy enough.

Solution

Zangeki

Estimable
Jan 31, 2015

Thanks for all the info! I have about 3 different peripherals with working USB connectors so I'm good on that end. I'll look into this and see how it goes. I appreciate the help :)