Headpones issue: Not picking up voice

ThatGamerGuy

Honorable
Jan 9, 2013
Hello TH forums. I have been using my Razer blacksharks for almost 2 years now. They were working perfectly fine *Already kinda broken, but that's just the sound quality, not the mic.* up until like, 3 days ago. I was in Skype chat with friends playing some league of legends, and the mic just straight up stopped working. Not amount of pushing in harder or making sure cables were connected. Heres my set up:

Case: NZXT Phantom 820: includes a microphone earphone port(s) on the top for a splitter. This is what I use for my headset.
Motherboard: Intel Dx79SI.

I currently use a set of Logitech speakers which plug into the back of my motherboard and whenever I just wanna switch, I would go to playback devices and just switch the default. It was all perfectly fine until the other day. The microphone just stopped picking up audio. Naturally, I thought it just broke, so I plugged them into my phone and called my friend over Skype. Testing with the mic plugged in and out, mouth far away from the phones own mic, and covered it up. My voice was definitely being picked up by the headsets mic, not the phone.

I moved on and updated my audio drivers, they were already at their most updated version apparently, but I downloaded Intel's auto driver updater, which downloaded the REALKTEK HD audio Manager which I have never used before, but apparently it was something it believed I needed. Never-the-less, it still does not work, and I really don't know what the problem is...

Those look to have the combination single jack for both mic and speakers, if they worked on your phone I'd first try a new jack on the computer. The connector on the jack they are in could have gone bad.

They also make splitters to change the post type for the combo jacks to dual regular jacks, you may want to try one of those with the computer jacks.

Also check if you can set the jack type in the options it may have gotten switched to standard from the combo, if there is an option for that.

ThatGamerGuy

Honorable
Jan 9, 2013
Found the problem to be a broken splitter cable (The cable that takes the headphone plug and splits it into mic-headphone cable). The mic side has been damaged and now only works when its turned a certain way and pushing in at the right angle...