Headset static and not detected

Lekingmoonya

Estimable
Jun 25, 2015
I recently bought the HyperX cloud II headset but I have a few problems:

1, Constant static that becomes worse when I listen to audio.

2, When I plug it directly into my headphone jack, it doesn't detect the headset.

Here are my specs:
i7-5820K
AMD r9 390
ASUS x99-a
Corsair 16gb ddr4
CM 212 hyper evo cooler
NZXT s340
Windows 10 home

Thanks in advance!

Solution

Did you use a trrs to 2 trs splitter like you're supposed to? If you plug it into a regular headphone jack like that it'll just feed back the mic input into the headphone and ruin both

1) You're missing the most important spec, the PSU. A lot of times the PSU and mobo can be sources of static.
2) Headphones aren't "detected" by a headphone jack in the way USB devices are. Set the headphone jack to be the default output and try again.
3) Try everything on another computer, perhaps it's just bad drivers or it could even be the USB soundcard that comes with the cloud

Lekingmoonya

Estimable
Jun 25, 2015

1) My PSU is the corsair RM 850
2) How do I reset it?
3) The headphone jack worked fine on my laptop, but I hear a tiny bit of static with the sound card.

That PSU should be fine, if it's working correctly, some people spend $1500 on CPU+GPU+RAM+MOBO and skimp out on the PSU (like buying a turbocharged ferrari and using regular unleaded with chunks of diesel thrown in).

As for "reset", that would require you to reinstall all the sound drivers, but luckily you don't need to reset, just set the headphones as the default output device (right click on the windows sound icon and go to playback devices).

Lekingmoonya

Estimable
Jun 25, 2015

Ok, well, I tried plunging in my headsets into the audio jack, and it doesn't show up on "Playback devices"
Also, I tried a different headset and it gave weird crackling sounds after I plugged it into the audio jack, I'm thinking a driver problem?

It should show up as "speaker" or "output" or "HD Audio" or something of the sort. Like I said, it will NOT show up as "HyperX" or similar because that's not possible with audio ports (though sony did experiment with making signal response signatures of their headphones so you could label them on their phones, didn't work very well though).

Lekingmoonya

Estimable
Jun 25, 2015

Still doesn't work. ;-;

Did you use a trrs to 2 trs splitter like you're supposed to? If you plug it into a regular headphone jack like that it'll just feed back the mic input into the headphone and ruin both

Solution