Headset w/mic produce static/hum/high pitched sounds in different scenarios. I am lost, really need help.

Alex U

Estimable
Jan 24, 2015
My Roccat Kave headset always had a somewhat static mic. I know it because I use TeamSpeak all the time, but I guess it was tolerable enough that people dealt with it. Now couple days ago I got a new Mobo Z97X G7 along with an i5 4690k.

I got a new problem now. I got this constant humming/static sound in my headset. Moving any window around and I think mouse in general produces another static sound on top of it. The only way to some-what suppress it is by turning Kave's amplifier sliders to no higher than ~40%. So I thought ok I can deal with that, at ~40% it is barely noticeable, but nope another surprise.

This time, when I play games and my gtx780 is under stress, I hear a NEW sound in my headset AND my mic. Low high pitched noise in my headset and my buddies on TeamSpeak said my mic starts to sound like there is a moped/lawn mower on the background. Heres the thing though, as soon as I minimize the game people tell me that my mic sounds PERFECT and I notice that the high pitched sound is gone from the headphones.

Things I have tried:
-Disable front audio
-Use different USB ports
-Disable all recording and audio devices that I do not use
-Moving my GPU down one slot

Yonose

Honorable
Dec 25, 2012
What AMP/DAQ do you have?
It seems like you are already on the right track tho, i do believe the problem is from the circuit on the MoBo, either get a desktop AMP/DAQ or get a AMP/DAQ for PCI that have circuit cover.

Alex U

Estimable
Jan 24, 2015

I am not sure what AMP/DAQ means, but if you are talking about a soundcard, I don't have one.

Yonose

Honorable
Dec 25, 2012

Alright, so you have sound to to the headset and sound from the mic to and from the MoBo, which generate the circuit noise as i were talking about.

To prevent this is either to get a desktop AMP/DAQ or a PCI soundcard with circuit cover, to prevent circuit noise, best option is AMP/DAQ.

(Soundcard is a AMP/DAQ, but its called soundcard for some reason)

Here is a example of your problem, imagine the blinking from the lamp is the static noise the headset and mic is receiving. Once again, the blinking from the lamp is because of the circuit inside your PC.
https://youtu.be/lSdjeMO8WgU?t=17s

I dont know if what i said helped you understand the problem..

(this video is just to show you what the problem is, if you dont have electronic education you most likely dont understand most if it.)

Alex U

Estimable
Jan 24, 2015

Yeah I understand. Does GPU stress cause circuit noise too? Because as I said earlier mic sounds fine on desktop, then when I maximize back in to a 3D application like a game, a moped sound appears in the background of my mic.

If this is truly what the problem is, why would it happen to a brand new $150 mobo? Did I handle it wrong like not grounding my self properly before putting it all together?

Yonose

Honorable
Dec 25, 2012

I dont know how much GPU generate of circuit noise but i dont think its so much.
What MoBo did you buy?
I dont know if getting a new from the company you bought it from will help, if no one else have a idea how to fix it, it would probably be best to get a cheap but still good desktop AMP/DAQ.

Alex U

Estimable
Jan 24, 2015

As I said in OP, I got a Z97X Gaming 7 mobo and a 4690k along with it. My whole headset goes to shit as soon as I launch any game. Before I got this mobo it was never that bad, although I did have some static in mic, but not as bad as right now.
To elaborate, there is ALWAYS hiss in my headset right now, but after launching a game it gets much worse and the mic starts to get affected to. I honestly don't know....is it the mobo, the gpu, PC grounding. I am lost.

Yonose

Honorable
Dec 25, 2012
I would buy a AMP/DAQ from someone or a company that sells it, and ask that you need to try it before you are sure you actually need it.
If the AMP/DAQ do work, then you simply keep it, if it dosent then you return it and get your money back.