healthy battery, but shuts down when on battery power

ets466

Estimable
Jan 12, 2016
I know this is another one of thousands of posts about laptops randomly shutting down. I have searched through countless threads but haven't found anything that seems like a sound solution. I have a vaio pro 13 running windows 10, a little under a year old. the battery health is very good, as I have kept a battery care function on which keeps the battery between 20% and 80% charge. This makes me think the battery is not the issue, otherwise i'd have just bought a replacement.

it started with my laptop shutting down randomly, on or off power, with the battery charge anywhere from 30 to 70% when this happened.

I reinstalled battery and power drivers and the windows 10 drivers from the manufacturer. I also used compressed air to clean the fans and interior of the laptop. This appeared to solve the problem of shutting down while plugged in, but not on battery.

The shutting down on battery power only has continued to worsen, to the point where it always shuts down when unplugged from ac power.

my question is, will a reinstall of windows 10 fix this? will a replacement battery fix this? or do I need a new laptop?

thank you for your time

Solution
Hi,

It seems like its more on a hardware problem rather than a software issue. Do try these troubleshooting steps that may help.
- To test the battery remove it from your laptop and boot it up with just the AC adapter connected.
- Observe weather if the laptop will shut down or not without the battery connected to the laptop.
- If the laptop will not shut down that means its the battery that is faulty and replacing it would be the solution but if it will continue to shut down that means your laptop may be overheating and applying a new thermal paste on both CPU and GPU would help.
- If all these will not work the problem would be with the motherboard itself.
Hi,

It seems like its more on a hardware problem rather than a software issue. Do try these troubleshooting steps that may help.
- To test the battery remove it from your laptop and boot it up with just the AC adapter connected.
- Observe weather if the laptop will shut down or not without the battery connected to the laptop.
- If the laptop will not shut down that means its the battery that is faulty and replacing it would be the solution but if it will continue to shut down that means your laptop may be overheating and applying a new thermal paste on both CPU and GPU would help.
- If all these will not work the problem would be with the motherboard itself.

Solution