Heartbeat Could Someday Be Used to Replace the Password

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

So when you die your 5 terabytes of pron literally dies with you.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]jacko232[/nom]So when you die your 5 terabytes of pron literally dies with you.[/citation]

that would be the best reason for it... but it needs some kind of a backup plan, like a 50 or so character password. just in case your heart degrades or changes its beet for some reason.

onanonanon

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2010
[citation][nom]jacko232[/nom]So when you die your 5 terabytes of pron literally dies with you.[/citation]
After watching 5 terabytes of pr0n you'd probably have a heart attack anyway. Well, if your wrists don't give out first.

fixxxer113

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011
Will this replace the password itself, or just the password creating method? I get how you can use the chaotic pattern of your heart beat to create a strong password, but how will you unlock it with the same method?? The pattern you used to encrypt might never reappear. If i encrypt a file while extremely pissed off will i need to get angry again to decrypt it? :p

If you cant decrypt using the same method it's just a fancy way of creating encryption keys. Although strong, you still have the same issues with distributing/protecting/remembering them.

Anyway, I think this is a step in the right direction. People are forced to remember so many passwords these days and having one for many uses is not safe. The solution will be to unlock things simply by your presence, using a combination of biometric data that will not be reproducible. This of course will create new issues for data that is a high value target, because the target of serious criminals will no longer be the owner's password, but the owner himself... But it will be good for consumers. I doubt someone will ever kidnap me to hack my facebook account :p

aracheb

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2008
[citation][nom]fixxxer113[/nom]Will this replace the password itself, or just the password creating method? I get how you can use the chaotic pattern of your heart beat to create a strong password, but how will you unlock it with the same method?? The pattern you used to encrypt might never reappear. If i encrypt a file while extremely pissed off will i need to get angry again to decrypt it? If you cant decrypt using the same method it's just a fancy way of creating encryption keys. Although strong, you still have the same issues with distributing/protecting/remembering them.Anyway, I think this is a step in the right direction. People are forced to remember so many passwords these days and having one for many uses is not safe. The solution will be to unlock things simply by your presence, using a combination of biometric data that will not be reproducible. This of course will create new issues for data that is a high value target, because the target of serious criminals will no longer be the owner's password, but the owner himself... But it will be good for consumers. I doubt someone will ever kidnap me to hack my facebook account[/citation]
that is bullshit, heart beat pattern is irregular..

if you gain weight you must reestablish your password couse your heart beat rhythm will change, if you loose too much weight also.. is some stupid way to try to sell some stupid idea as fancy.

President of the united stated set the password with his heart beat reading for the files containing the agreement he negotiated for the Trade of world peace to see if we can end this World War that has being going for the last 20 year. But he had a Cardiac Arrest when he was setting up the password it will be impossible to decrypt it.

sunflier

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
Helpdesk: Helpdesk, how can I help you?
User: Hi, yes. I guess I'm stressed today as it seems my heart has locked out my account again.
Helpdesk: Ok. Its unlocked. You do realize this is the third time this week?
User: Yes, I do. And I don't need you reminding me only adding to my stress. Bye!

Helpdesk: Helpdesk, how can I help you?
User: *sigh* Its me again...

jellico

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
I am not a big fan of biometrics as a primary means of authentication. A lot of people like the idea because these are things that are unique to you... and that's true. They are so unique, in fact, that they are not just unique to you; but they are unique to you at a particular point in time. You biometrics do change as you grow older, as you gain or lose weight, as you get sick, etc. Even things as seeming unchanging as fingerprints... what happens if you burn your finger or get cut or grow a wart? About the only thing that is truly unique AND unchanging is certain parts of the base code of your DNA. The problem with that is we don't yet have an instant and practical way to scan your DNA to use for authentication. The second problem is that it can be forged if someone is so inclined.

Bottom line: biometrics are fine for something like multi-factor authentication where the bio part is not the primary auth, but I'd forget about it otherwise.

Lewis57

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2009
"Oh crap I forgot to upload my work document so I can access it at work." *run up the stairs to the computer* "Oh crap now I have to wait for my heartbeat to slow down..."

zak_mckraken

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2004
The article is self-contradictory. If a heartbeat pattern is irregular and doesn't repeat, it can't be used as a password. It could be used to create a powerful encryption cypher though, but I fail to see a practical use for this.

watcha

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
Personally, I just don't think this will catch on until our culture becomes more forward thinking.

Who wants to have a machine reading their heartbeat every time they login to their computer?

A lot of people like to keep man and machine as far removed as possible, there is just something invasive about a computer listening to our heartbeat, sensing out emotions (some cars), recognising our eyes or voice - and even I as part of the 'youth generation' and someone with businesses involving technology can relate to not wanting that.

This will perhaps fill a niche but it will not become mainstream for at least a decade or two, if ever.

matt_b

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2009
Yeah I'm sure just like fingerprints, there's nobody else that has a similar heartbeat. I don't know the science as mentioned in the article, but there are so many ways that this will get messed up. I can buy the signature beat, but what about pace, or things like joy or stress leading to an irregular pattern when you need to unlock your stuff? I remain beyond skeptical initially but if it comes to light and works extremely well, I'll be amazed. Even then though, don't count on me as an adopter of this tech.

Supertrek32

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2008
It's probably not referring to the thumping you hear when it says they follow a regular pattern. Instead it's probably the timing in the opening+closing in the valves and the coordination of the squeezing mechanisms all relative to each other. Those should generally stay the same no matter how fast/slow your heart is beating.

That said, drastic changes in physical condition would still likely change these. Losing a bunch of weight, gaining some, a heart attack, all of these could potentially lock you out of your computer.

Now you have to keep that nerd-body if you want to access your computer!

TeraMedia

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2006
Honestly, I'd prefer that we didn't have to use something that doesn't change. Whatever transceiver is used to measure the uniqueness of a heartbeat can probably be fooled by something that can reproduce those irregularities through something like a recording. But if there were something like 100 photos, for each of which the protected system knew my heart rate's unique behavioral changes in advance, then a simple test of showing 4 random photos in a row and monitoring the changes in my heart's behavior (as well as other biometric indicators - EEG?) would provide a very difficult system to crack. The cracker would have a 1 in 100^4 = 100,000,000 chance of choosing the right sequence of recorded responses to each random stimulus. And if each photo is shown for 3 seconds, then would take up to 1.2 billion seconds to crack it. Whereas the system proposed by this article can be defeated by an electronic recording of the user's pulse in a matter of seconds.

rottingsheep

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2010
sounds like this was derived from Kojima Hideo's idea.
remember mgs2?
the president's vital signs was also needed to launch a nuclear strike. kidnapping won't do you any good.

eddieroolz

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
Why not take it one step further, and use genetics or maybe even implanted chips? Of course people will always be fearful of the "big brother" part, but it would bring more benefits than drawbacks.

stevo777

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2008
This is complete nonsense. Heartbeats in an individual can change over time dramatically--to say nothing if the person develops one of a myriad of heart problems/diseases, which can drastically change things.

Status
Not open for further replies.