Heat damage in gaming laptop???

Dec 1, 2018
I have a gigabyte P57 gaming laptop that used to run 35-40 degrees when idle and 80-90deg GPU (around 85 CPU) under load (games like BF1, Fallout76 , Battlefront 2 and PUBG in ultra settings at good FPS). I overclock it through a gigabyte program that came with the PC.

Like 2 days ago I noticed it got to 95 deg GPU and 90 CPU.
During that time it performed normal.

Next time I tried gaming I started having issues. Now when I start games It wont go higher than 60 degrees, also the automatic fans (like they normally would) won't kick in since it doesn't need it. This takes a huge toll on the performance. Its almost like the GPU only works half way now. Like if the high temperature would have triggered some kind of throttle or melted something.

I have checked for dust and clogging but everything seems fine. I have a 5 fan extra cooling system that I always keep running.

It feels like the system is stuck and the high performance settings won't kick in when they should (note I always play with the laptop plugged in to the power outlet to get better performance). In addition, now i get weird 3-5 second screen freezes when i'm just in google chrome or other programs that my PC should easily handle.

I am kinda worried I may have burned the GPU out since I always run it on the highest overclock level that the gigabyte program will let me. It is weird because it doesn't have any huge issues like a dead card would, it just suddenly dropped performance and made things unplayable.
Thanks in advance.

UPDATE: I have run the FurMark GPU stress stress test and it still gives me the same issue. It says it puts a 99-100% load on the GPU, yet the laptop won't heat over 60 degrees and the performance is low.

My specs are:
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700HQ CPU @ 2.60GHz, 2601 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)
SMBIOS Version 3.0
BIOS Mode UEFI
BaseBoard Manufacturer GIGABYTE
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 16.0 GB
Available Physical Memory 12.6 GB
Total Virtual Memory 16.9 GB
Available Virtual Memory 12.3 GB
Page File Space 1.00 GB
GPU Nvidia GTX 1060 (which I max overclock all the time)
Storage SSD 128G+HDD 1T

Oct 5, 2018
Here’s my advice: let it idle, get the temps, then let it idle in a cold environment like a refrigerator (NOT FREEZER, YOU WILL DAMADGE COMPONENTS). Take it out and see if the idle temp has changed. I have a MacBook Pro which I use for light gaming and it idles at around 55.

Dec 1, 2018

Thanks! I tried that and restarted it and it got back to idle at around 40. I still have the issue where the GPU won't go past 60 degrees when it should go up to 80 under heavy load though :(.

Oct 5, 2018

Strange. Are you using a fan control software to control when fans turn on and off?

Dec 1, 2018

Yeah well i Have a cooling pad that I always keep on and the laptop just turns its fans on to higher rpms whenever it starts heating. There's this gigabyte software that lets me set speed limits. I normally have he fans set from 75% to 95% speed when under load.

Oct 5, 2018

Ah ok. Maybe set the fans to turn on at a lower temperature to keep the temps down??

Dec 1, 2018

Well the thing is that after that one day the GPU went to 95C it hasn't gone back up higher than 60, which tells me (and I can see since I can't game properly anymore) its not working like it should because when it did my temps were always 80-90C. So I guess we could say my problem is that after that day the GPU performance has dropped significantly. Any advice on how to tell what happened? My two best guesses are damage or that it got throttled somehow but I don't know how to tell...
Thanks again!