rannusaarlane

Prominent
Sep 22, 2017
So here my problem. I own a hp pavilion 15-aw016no. It has a AMD A9-9410 apu. The idle temps are aroud 30-40 degrees celsius, but as i open anything the temps spike up to 70-95 degrees and stay there. There is no dust in the notebook and the thermal paste has been changed. Anyone has any idea which could cause it?

rgd1101

Don't
MERGED QUESTION
Question from rannusaarlane : "Notebook graphic chipset heating issue"

mtucci

Prominent
Jul 7, 2017

Check if the fan is working, whats their rpm?, check your Bios settings for its fan control details.
Aside from a faulty fan, as you cleaned and applied new thermal compound, look your general power management plan, if the laptop is set to Performance or a high value, change it to equilibrated or whatever HP calls that particular level.
And, in advanced power settings, if the cpu power its 100% when on battery, try to decrease that value.

rannusaarlane

Prominent
Sep 22, 2017

The fan is working, but its blowing out cold air. I dont know the rpm of the fan. The only fan related setting i have in bios is(fan allways on). Power plan is set on balanced

carlbyronthompson

Estimable
Apr 18, 2015
There are guides on how to disassemble almost any model of laptop out there, often on YouTube. Without it being in my hands, my advice is to completely dissemble it and clean everything and reapply a thermal compound under all the heatsink areas probably 2(cpu and onboard video if not on chip.) I'd say just use air duster to clean the cooling fins but it won't work in this case because its a laptop. it has to be done from the in to out. Don't take any heat sinks off if you discover the fins clogged, simply make sure the screws are tightened and blow out the fin from in to out. If the fan blows out cold air then it is not taking hot air out of the machine.

rannusaarlane

Prominent
Sep 22, 2017

I did all that, but it is still the same

rannusaarlane

Prominent
Sep 22, 2017
The temps i wrote earlier was from the hwmonitor. Ive updated everything including bios. Right now ive slowed down the processor down to 1.65ghz and my temps stay on 50-55degrees while browsing the web.

mtucci

Prominent
Jul 7, 2017
In the article i posted above, there is more information about wrong readings in temps for Apus. Does your laptop throttle or shutdown when those high temps are reported?