Help buying a laptop (w. buyers FAQ)

MikeDNK

Estimable
Jan 2, 2015
Hello there,

I'm looking to buy a laptop for my girlfriend. It will almost solely be used for watching videos (youtube and downloads) and browsing the internet.
The most important features would be:

A) The ability to play videos without any kind of lag.
B) Small size, lightweight.
C) As low price as possible.

Do note that I live in a warm climate, so although we plan to use a usb-cooling-mat-fan-thing, we still want to avoid brands or builds that are notorious for overheating issues.

Thank you for your help!

1. What is your budget?
I would prefer to spend in the area of 12.500THB (380USD) but will go as high as 15.000THB (460USD).

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
11.6" would be ideal but probably unrealistic on this budget. 14.5" or lower will do.

3. What screen resolution do you want?
I have no preferences regarding resolution as long as it is able to accomplish the tasks outlined above (or see 7.).

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
Portable.

5. How much battery life do you need?
Battery life is not important, as I expect the laptop to be plugged in or near an outlet most of the time.

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
The laptop will almost certainly not be used for playing games. If it will, it will be used for ancient, low-end games like The Sims.

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)
As outlined above, the laptop will almost solely be used for watching videos and browsing the internet. My main reason for making this post is uncertainty regarding system requirements for video playback up to 720p.

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?
Anything above 200gb will do.

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.
I live in Thailand and have very little wiggle room when it comes to deciding where to buy from. Unfortunately, two of the three sites are in Thai and may be hard to navigate. There is no English version, my apologies.
InvadeIT (Eng)
Banana IT
JIB Computer Group

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?
I dont expect my girlfriend to suddenly require a more powerful laptop. As such, I would like to keep it as long as possible.

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
No optical drive is required.

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
I have no preferences regarding brands.

13. What country do you live in?
I live in Thailand.

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.
I would prefer a computer that comes with Windows already installed - windows version is not important.
The hot climate of Thailand means that the computer cannot be prone to overheat. It will be used with a laptop cooler.

MikeDNK

Estimable
Jan 2, 2015

Hi there,

Thanks so much for your help - picking it up from the store this afternoon!