Help buying/building a gaming LAPTOP

Clueless1200

Commendable
Jul 5, 2016
Hi, guys.

I've been looking around for a good gaming laptop for a quite a while now (I know desktops are better, but for various reasons I'm going to need something portable). I'm kind of fussy, and because of that I still haven't found something I REALLY like. Either it doesn't have the right graphics card, or I don't like the design or whatever. I'm almost beyond sick of it at this point. I almost settled on an Alienware 15 R2, but started to have second thoughts after seeing people basically saying I should stay the hell away from AW (for reasons I don't really understand).

Right now the only thing I'm really considering is building a version of this:

https://www.utopiacomputers.co.uk/computers/pc/configurePrd.asp?idproduct=516

Because I miraculously like the design (at least with a custom paint job), and it has the graphics card and RAM I want. My main problem is, I'm not really sure how to go about building this outside of those things. Intel Core, thermal compound, hard drive bay, SSD... these are all things I know absolutely nothing about, and I'd really prefer to not go above 1700 pounds here.

So any help with building this would be appreciated, assuming I'm actually getting my money's worth here - since I can't find a lot of information on these outside of the official site.

Solution
Alienware ended up with a uncool rep among people due to the pricing mainly, it was one of the first higher end brands, and just newer ones are out there, like MSI, SAGER, ASUS ROG models, things like that.

For the screen, I'd stick with the 1080 screen, 4 k on a laptop is a bit overdoing it. For the price difference, if you will be doing anything with heavy media encoding, I'd to with the i7-6700, if not, the 6600K, for the price, the extra boost in speed is worth it, it's not much more than the standard CPU.

The better thermal compound is fine, it's cheap enough and you should be 5 or more degrees temp difference. 16 GB 2400 speed RAM, if you won't be keeping tons of media files on the thing or trying to install 5 high end games...
Alienware ended up with a uncool rep among people due to the pricing mainly, it was one of the first higher end brands, and just newer ones are out there, like MSI, SAGER, ASUS ROG models, things like that.

For the screen, I'd stick with the 1080 screen, 4 k on a laptop is a bit overdoing it. For the price difference, if you will be doing anything with heavy media encoding, I'd to with the i7-6700, if not, the 6600K, for the price, the extra boost in speed is worth it, it's not much more than the standard CPU.

The better thermal compound is fine, it's cheap enough and you should be 5 or more degrees temp difference. 16 GB 2400 speed RAM, if you won't be keeping tons of media files on the thing or trying to install 5 high end games at the same time, the 250 GB SSD is good. Maybe add a standard larger drive to the secondary bay, does not much matter which model for that, just pick one for your space needs. Rest of the things don't really matter or add to the speed of the system.

Solution