Help Choosing a High-Spec Futures Trading laptop

vikingtemplar

Commendable
Jul 22, 2016
Looking for some recommendations for a trading laptop. Yes, I have researched the s**t out of this and read threads on numerous forums — but I keep ending up in this daily cyclical-loop 2nd guessing my decisions. Basically, I’ve come to the conclusion that I’m lost. I keep flip-flopping between a gaming laptop and a workstation (which are way more expensive).

I’m running: 10-14 hours daily, CQG (trade charting, ladders and custom indicator software), twitter feeds, Excel (RTD-fed through CQG) running complex formulas, a streaming news feed. I do not play games, 5-6 tabs open in chrome.

I need:
* 17 inch HD or UHD (but due to scaling issues, perhaps 4K is not the best in a 17?).
* Chip — coffee lake? Any recommendations on this?
* 32GB minimum (I’d like to be able to upgrade this myself).
* GPU — this is a sticking point. Do I go with a gaming 10XX or a workstation class GPU. From what I understand, the trading software uses the Intel chip solely to calculate/process my indicators, and the GPU would therefore simply draw the 2D lines/charts on my monitors — is this correct?
* Would Q-Max tech be sufficient?
* I need the ability to output to 3, 43inch 4K@60hz monitors (so a 3+ 1 laptop screen).
* SSD n.2 slots
* Portability/weight not important. As long as I can get it into some kind of bag that is fine, but I do need to move with it, hence the search for a laptop.
* Not too noisy (I don’t think the GPU will be all that stressed based on my requirements?
* Cost not all that important either — with these specs it’ll be what it has to be.
* I’d like the ability to upgrade internals myself — buying a lower specced laptop in terms of SSD’s and RAM.

Last thing to note, I am a Futures trader, trading 12-15 products, I can have over 40 charts, ladders and custom indicators open at one time, therefore this is far more computationally intensive than a standard stock trading setup.

Could someone recommend a laptop (from whatever category) based on these specs? And perhaps a little explanation as to why? Thanks for your time any help with this.

Solution
Hi,

i'm a trader and a gamer..Gamer all my life, trader last 5 years on a daily bases,, With Mt4, full loaded of charts, more than 20 tabs on chrome, and no lag. Actually is not so hard to choose, and you dont need even 2000$ to buy a new pc. Since is multi task, you need something with 16gb ram dd4 at the moment, at least quadcore cpu, at the moment i'm using lenovo ideapad 700 15isk. Works at all levels easly.

vikingtemplar

Commendable
Jul 22, 2016

Senor Burtos, thanks for reading. I didn’t add a price limit as I’d like people to suggest simply based on my required specs rather than just telling me to get the highest specced workstation which may be overkill. But let’s say not more than $3,000. Thanks for your time.

Feb 26, 2018
Hi,

i'm a trader and a gamer..Gamer all my life, trader last 5 years on a daily bases,, With Mt4, full loaded of charts, more than 20 tabs on chrome, and no lag. Actually is not so hard to choose, and you dont need even 2000$ to buy a new pc. Since is multi task, you need something with 16gb ram dd4 at the moment, at least quadcore cpu, at the moment i'm using lenovo ideapad 700 15isk. Works at all levels easly.

Solution