help choosing art school laptop

BlueSkyfish

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2008
I'm an art student who is looking for a laptop to carry with me all the time. To school, and to allow me to work other places/outdoors. I am switching to a laptop to replace my old stationary computer. a 6 year old dell. The old dell died today, I hope I can rescue the files on it.

1_What is your budget?
Around 9000(NOK)
or 748(GBP)
or 1326(USD)
(used a converter, may be inaccurate) I might up my budget if Its impossible to get this kind of machine for that price.

2_What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
I'm used to a small slightly less than 12inches screen i think, but i can't have anything smaller than that. As light as possible though.

3_What screen resolution do you want?
Somewhat. High. I need it to display color accurately more than I need sharpness, but I do primarily work with photoshop so HIGH is good, may lower for price. It would be nice if i can see the screen outdoors.

4_Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
the new laptop will replace my stationary.

5_How much battery life do you need?
2-3 hours, i plan on carrying the charger with me at all times, i don't think i will be sitting away from power sources for more than 3 hours.

6_Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
Maybe just World of Warcraft.

7_What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo / Video editing, surfing the web, playing music, watching movies, Etc.)
These programs must be able to run on it:
Photoshop newest version
Movie editing programs
word editing programs
iTunes
Googlearth
firefox
webcam conversating.

There is a possibility I will be 3D modelling in the future, not sure if i shall prepare for that now.

8_How much storage (H.D.D Capacity) do you need?
Whatever is needed for thousands of photo, pdf, music, fimclips...

9_If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post the links to them.

10_How long do you want to keep your laptop?
3 years

11_If you would like to mention some other things about purchasing your ideal laptop, post them.
Its looks and weight matter to me. I do not like laptops with sharp edges, it needs to be comfortable on my lap or belly as i use it laying down sometimes. I am likely to drop my laptop a few times from as much as one meter height, sturdy laptop is good, but not necessary. Temperature resistance. I will carry this laptop with me in all weather, also in cold winter snow. I'm not too worried about heat problems unless it feels burning on my lap.

12_Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
I do not like macs much.

13_What country do you live in?
Norway

dwellman

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2002
12 inch screen and high resolution are mutually exclusive.

However, take a look at Lenovo IdeaPad U330. . . it's light enough, comes with an LED backed LCD