Solved! Help choosing laptop/desktop combination for college

hyeedo

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2007
Hi, I will be moving for college starting September and am in need of a laptop.
My old desktop I put together 5 years ago died as well so I cant decide if I should get a overall laptop that will run games, or should i get a laptop just to take around and make a simple desktop with a video card.
My budget for laptop is $600-800, I've been looking around and there are quite a few options. My concern for Asus is i read a lot of reviews on bad keyboards, are they all like that or just a select few?
Also what would be better a Pentium dual cor 2.3ghz or a cor 2 duo at 2ghz?

Any advice will be appreciated. thanks

Solution
A few thoughts for you:
1) Consider a small netbook for carrying around, and a desktop for games. You can get a netbook for <$300. The advantage is light weight and portability. Use the savings for your gaming desktop.
2) If you get a single all purpose laptop, Make certain that it has a discrete graphics card and screen size that will suit you for gaming.
3) A SSD makes all the difference in the world for laptop performance. Consider looking for a unit with minimal hard drive space, and plan on replacing the drive with a small SSD. An Intel X25-V 40gb drive coats about $125, and you will probably get twice the capacity for your dollar by the end of the year.
4) Any dual core cpu @1.8 or better will probably be plenty...

hyeedo

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2007
or what if i get a 13inch Macbook 2.26ghz 2gb ram 9400 video, for 899 with printer and carrying case
and Just take my desktop along and pop a video card in it if i ever feel the need to play demanding games like grid, dirt.. etc..
Or Why not just carry around a laptop that can play it and not worry
uhh this is hard

geofelt

Distinguished
A few thoughts for you:
1) Consider a small netbook for carrying around, and a desktop for games. You can get a netbook for <$300. The advantage is light weight and portability. Use the savings for your gaming desktop.
2) If you get a single all purpose laptop, Make certain that it has a discrete graphics card and screen size that will suit you for gaming.
3) A SSD makes all the difference in the world for laptop performance. Consider looking for a unit with minimal hard drive space, and plan on replacing the drive with a small SSD. An Intel X25-V 40gb drive coats about $125, and you will probably get twice the capacity for your dollar by the end of the year.
4) Any dual core cpu @1.8 or better will probably be plenty. A core 2 duo will be 15% faster, clock for clock than a older dual core cpu.
5) Consider used/refurbished. Look at lenovo outlet, IBM used, and e-bay. See if you can find a T series with a good discrete graphics chip.
6) Get a unit with the OS you want. Plan on reinstalling it to remove all the bloatware. Beg or borrow the appropriate OS, and plan on activating using the original product code.

--good luck---

Solution

shening

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2008
300$ netbook + killer gaming desktop is the way to go. with 700$ (800 if u dont have a monitor) u can build a very good desktop and which can be upgraded in the future.

geofelt

Distinguished
Look at Lenovo for laptops. The IBM thinkpad people went there, and they do some very good work. In perticular, I like the T series. Check out the Lenovo outlet or the IBM surplus store which will have some older units for a very good price. You get a refurbished unit with some sort of warranty.

hyeedo

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2007
I saw a Msi A6200 today with cor it-430 turbo boost 15.6'' 4gb memory, intel gma hd graphics
i really liked the screen display and the keyboard seemed very very comfortable for typing.
it was for $549 if im not mistaken or $599
However it has an integrated video card with a 5400 rpm hard drive
Is it worth getting another laptop with 7200 hard drive and possible slower cpu but better video?
Or should i just get this laptop with a desktop on the side with a real video card

hyeedo

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2007
See the thing is im really bad on deciding
Wont it be better to put together a desktop to play games on, a budget desktop with decent video card will be very decent for games.

geofelt

Distinguished

To help you decide, put together detail costs for two options:
1) Full function laptop.
2) netbook + gaming desktop.

Next, list the pro's and con's that are important to you.
Then, YOU decide. You will be learning to make your own decisions in college; it's time to start now.

Also, as a college student, you will be eligible for a windows-7 license at little/no cost. Perhaps you could defer the desktop build.