Help choosing my first laptop :)

ashbee01

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2010
I have been researching all over the net trying to find the perfect laptop but it's so frustrating trying to find one that is good enough to meet my needs, without being over the top expensive. I've been to this forum for advice in the past and everyone was very helpful so i'm back again. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Before I get to the standard FAQ i'd like to add that I am majoring in English, this will be my first laptop, and I am not looking for anything that is "future proof" gaming wise. I understand that is impossible, anyway! I am very interested in atleast an i5 processor, if possible for my budget!

1_What is your budget?

Around $1,000 although ideally I would like to stay under that.

2_What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?

I would like something that is 15.4 inches or smaller. However, I am willing to go up to 16 inches.

3_What screen resolution do you want?

No preference, whatever is decent for regular internet/game/work usage

4_Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?

Portable. I will be taking the laptop to class and around campus.

5_How much battery life do you need?

I am hoping for at least 2 hours. More would be great, but I am willing to compromise battery life for graphics if need be.

6_Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?

The only two games I play are WOW and Sims 3. I would like these both to be at medium settings or higher, if possible.

7_What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo / Video editing,watching movies, Etc.)

I would probably upload pictures to it, use WI-FI extensively, internet, maybe Itunes, and do the majority of my school work on it. I would *not* be watching movies or doing any heavy photo editing, if any at all.

8_How much storage (H.D.D Capacity) do you need?

I don't really have a preference. I don't know much about computer storage :(

9_If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.

Newegg, Tiger Direct, Best Buy, Amazon---any more suggestions would be great

10_How long do you want to keep your laptop?

2-3 years. Longer would be great but it's not a deal breaker.

11_What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?

Doesn't matter. I can't see myself burning cds for any reason. I would probably put documents on an external drive if needed.

12_Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.

I have heard so many horror stories about HP & Gateway that I have been a little scared away from those 2. Any other brands are fine by me. Ideally, I would like an Asus, Toshiba, Sony, Samsung or Lenovo. But again, I am open to any suggestions.

13_What country do you live in?

USA

14_Please tell us any additional information if needed.

I will be purchasing before September. I don't believe I need a serious powerhouse machine, but I would like to be able to do all of my school work on the laptop, along with updating my Ipod and some light gaming. (if WOW and Sims 3 are considered light!)

Once again, I will really appreciate ANY helpful advice or suggestions. Thank you in advance!

ashbee01

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2010
Thank you both! The Lenovo looks great, is an i7 ok for my needs or would that be too much power under the hood?

lol kevin :D
to OP,well for your tasks an i5 suffices, but since the Lenovo model was cheaper and has a more powerful card, i recommended it, however the Toshiba one will run cooler(because of i5).
Both are good laptops.