Help choosing the right A/V receiver

cyberwraith05

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2011
I have been using my PC for my sole entertainment device for the last 5+ years. I recently decided to evolve this into a full blown home theater system. Here's what I have acquired so far:

Sony Bravia 55" LED 1080p 240Hz 3D HDTV - Model: KDL55HX729
Sony PlayStation 3 160GB
XBOX 360 250GB
My current PC (in serious need of an upgrade)
- Apevia X-Discovery Blue Computer Case
- MSI K9N SLI Platinum MS 7374 Motherboard
- AMD Phenom 64 X4 9600 Quad-Core 2.3GHz Socket AM2+ (940) Processor
- Western Digital Caviar SE16 320 GB 7200 RPM 3.5" Internal Hard Drive
- Corsair XMS2 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DIMM 800 (PC2 6400)
- ATI Radeon HD2400 Pro 256MB DDR2 PCI-E Graphics Card
- Asus CRW 4824ah CD-RW Drive
- Lite-On SHD-16P1S 16X DVD-Rom Drive
- Logitech Cordless Desktop MX 5500 Revolution Keyboard and Mouse
- Acer AL1716 Black 17" VGA LCD Monitor
- Windows Vista Home Basic 32bit

I want to connect my PC to the TV once it arrives (purchased black friday) and just use my old faithful 17" Acer monitor for a second workstation screen/back up. Obviously I'm going to need a good surround sound system. All of my research has lead me to conclude that the best way to hook up all of my devices is with a high speed HDMI cable to an A/V receiver, then send one high speed HDMI cable via the HDMI out on the receiver to my Bravia TV.

I plan on using my PS3 to watch both 2D and 3D Blu Ray movies. XBOX 360 for games only. My computer will be used for every day tasks such as web browsing, bills/budgeting, photo/video/document editing, listening to music, watching downloaded movies and online streaming. So here are my quesitons:

What is the best A/V reciever for around $300-$500 that will support full 1080p 3D pass through, needs to have at least 4 HDMI inputs and 1 HDMI out, support HDMI 1.4a, and will allow for full Dolby True HD, DTS-HD Master Audio loss less playback capabilities?
- I prefer a system which supports Bravia Sync capabilities. If a Sony receiver is the only device that will support Bravia Sync, then what is the best receiver for Sony with the above requirements?
- All the bells and whistles basically.

Should I get a 3D Blu Ray player since PS3 doesn't allow for 3D Blu Ray loss less audio playback, or would it be more economical for me to just add a Blu Ray drive to my PC?

erly_Cuylers

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2011
I would suggest looking at the Onkyo HT-RC370. it is capable of all your specifications. it has a feature simular to Sync called RIHD, it does not specifically support Sony and vice-vesa. although according to the manual "it can be used with CEC (Consumer Electronics Control), which allows system control over HDMI and is part of the HDMI standard". it may also do what you want it for and not have to use Sony. I have read some believe Sony Bravia Sync is just a way of getting the consumer to buy all Sony products. as an ex-sony fan I can confirm that sounds about right. I am sure it's a nice TV and you do not want to lose the Sync function I'm sure. the reason why I suggest the Onkyo is because it is more than capable of meeting your needs but it is also fully loaded. since it seems part of what you want is complex abilities and configurations. the Onkyo is also network capable.

as far as compatibility with Sony from what I've read it looks like Sync is basicly indigenous to Sony. Onkyo RIHD is capable of controlling other components from different manufacturers but is limited in guarantee. perhaps someone can confirm the compatibilities? I suggest downloading the manual from the website and checking out RIHD and the receivers capabilities. if you want to maintain Sony Sync compatibility you will probably have to stick with a Sony AVR. I cannot personaly suggest one because I have become unfamiliar with Sony.