Help Connecting Samsung UN50MU6300F to a Pioneer XDV55 DVD Surround sound system

Apr 13, 2018
Need to get my Samsung smart TV to connect and play picture and sound from my Pioneer XVDV55 DVD surround sound system. I have one optical toslink connected. Pioneer responds and is working but no sound or picture on the TV. Not sure what settings to change on TV or on Pioneer and if I need another connection between them set up? Really want to use my Pioneer system for TV sound and all DVD and music CDs sound instead of TV speakers. This isn't my area of expertise. Once connected I can program it fine. Please help, Samsung TV is UN50MU6300F

Apr 13, 2018
does the optical connection only work for audio? My TV only has one optical port. The Pioneer has two. Seems odd, as this dvd surround system is about 15 years old. I'm not ready to give it up. The kids LOVE to watch Transformers through it and Jurassic park, great bass.

rgd1101

Don't
MERGED QUESTION
Question from knittingkitten2016 : "Can't get picture or sound connecting optical to Pioneer DVD player-Surround sound"