Help desperately needed to find 17" laptop with *good* matte screen.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kensass

Honorable
Apr 15, 2012
OK, that i don't undestand.

I can choose between 3 displays, and they write that the premium and plus models have wide viewing angles and No reflection. The premium model has also deeper color suturration, and rgb, whatever that is. Do you not believe this is the ips panels? Atleast the Premium one?

There a free upgrade to the premium, which expires 16. april.

Kensass

Honorable
Apr 15, 2012
But now i also found the SE model, and i can configure that in the same way. Ofcourse id rather get a 16" inch than a 15", if the displays are the same quality, since i really wanted 17" to begin with.

Kensass

Honorable
Apr 15, 2012
The SE models only have one screen available, and they call that 'plus'.

39,5cm LCD 1920x1080+webcam
39,5 cm (15,5") VAIO Display Plus (1920x1080 pixel) (16:9)

Hopefully, that means that you'll have more than one choice in IPS panels.

But I don't exactly trust the 'marketing spin' you see on the MFGR's website.
If I wanted to know if it was an IPS panel I'd sure give them a call.

Kensass

Honorable
Apr 15, 2012
Yes , especially if i still can get the free premium screen upgrade tomorrow, depending what they say.

I wanna thank you one more time for your help, it was great, and just when i needed it the most!

I believe the difference between these displays is the number of LED backlights (1 vs 2) and the resolution (1920x1080 vs 1600x900).

The basic 1600x900, one light backlight is still a great monitor.

I also tried researching issues related to EYE STRAIN but it was not that clear. I couldn't find anything that was specific to an IPS vs TN screen. There was response time, brightness, resolution, screen size, ghosting, viewing time but nothing I could find anywhere that could explain IPS being better for the eyes over TN.

Matte (anti-glare) screens are generally best, but the anti-glare coating makes text slightly harder to focus on. On the other hand, glossy screens are almost useless with much sunlight reflecting. So glossy screens are the BEST screens but only if it's very dark like a basement.

You also will need to tweak the brightness, colour pallette and possibly the DPI setting if your eyes are really that sensitive.

Summary:
It's hard to recommend from here. It sounds like you are considering the Sony. I don't see much benefit of the more expensive screens, the 1600x900, single backlight seems quite adequate. I've seen them up close. The dual backlights help prevent showing shadow around the backlight but I didn't really see any on the single LED backlight.

I guess they are slightly better but again I don't know what your budget is.

The higher resolution will require you to raise the DPI by between 10% and 25% or else the web sites and likely other programs will have text which is too small.

Web sites and DPI:
You can also use CTRL + Mouse-Scroll to increase or decrease the text size for Chrome/IE/Firefox. It will remember that page.

You may also wish to use PLUGINS such as:
- NoSquint (Firefox), or
- TurnOfftheLights (Chrome)

Other:
The lights in stores, added to the over-bright and saturated colors of the laptops to compensate can cause eye strain. My research indicates that most laptop screens, properly adjusted will work fine.

Recommended specs:
- Windows 7 64-bit Premium OEM
- quality brand (not ACER)
- 4GB RAM
*quad-core APU's give the best performance to noise ratio. Most Intel CPU's run faster, but their integrated graphics aren't necessarily better than an APU's.

Better graphics can add a lot of heat (needed only for gaming). NVidia's Optimus technology uses two GPU's and turns one off when needed.

Kensass

Honorable
Apr 15, 2012
Thanks for your reply.
When i wrote im quite sensitive to bad monitor, i only meant it as: Any flickering, tearing, reflection, delays,washed out or bad colors ect. i notice imediately, and it really really annoys me.
I've always spent the extra money to get a proper panel for my desktops, and laptops.

And correct my if im wrong here, but is the glare not usually something that is added to a monitor, like a clearcoat paint, or glass? And panels is actually matte by default?

There is an option to turn a glossy panel into a matte panel by installing an anti glare screen protector on the LCD panel. It's like a plastic film that you stick onto the LCD panel.

Saying it is easier than actually doing it though at least from my experience because of dust. I supposed I live in a somewhat dusty environment. The issue is when dust get's trapped between the film and the screen you get bubbles and can be a bit annoying. Also, the film may not exactly fit the screen. For example, I bought a 14" Green Onions Anti Glare Screen Protector for my 14" Lenovo Y470 laptop, but about 1/16 of an inch of the screen (at the bottom) is not covered by the screen protector.

Green Onions Supply Anti-Glare Screen Protector for 17.3"
http://www.amazon.com/Green-Onions-Supply-Anti-Glare-Protector/dp/B004DUM9AM/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1334511544&sr=8-8

Green Onions Supply Anti-Glare Screen Protector for 17"
http://www.amazon.com/Green-Onions-Supply-RT-SPF1017W-Transparent/dp/B001BYASQA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1334511544&sr=8-1

Green Onions Supply Anti-Glare Screen Protector for 15.6"
http://www.amazon.com/Green-Onions-Supply-Anti-Glare-Micro-fiber/dp/B0035JKKY4/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1334511544&sr=8-7

Here's a video tutorial on how to install the screen protector. Note that the screen protector used is specifically for an Alienware laptop who's shape is contoured to the shape of the laptop. The above links to Green Onions screen protector are rectangular in shape and is only to be installed on the panel itself.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kw4uN4T9Csk

Kensass

Honorable
Apr 15, 2012
I called sony, and they could not give me any info about panel types. I kinda expected that. However, i have ordered the F model, with the premium display. Hope it's a proper monitor.

Let us know how things work out. That type of question come up fairly often.

I guess I'm not surprised Sony 1st line order support didn't know the answer. But it shouldn't be that hard to find something like that out.

Sony is not shy about mentioned the IPS nature of the SE model on it's Store site.
"Plus, all 15.5" S series models feature Full HD 1920 x 1080 resolution and IPS (in-plane switching) technology so you can enjoy a crisper image and wider viewing angle. "

Kensass

Honorable
Apr 15, 2012
Hello again.
I got the machine today, VAIO F24, and the display is most likely one of the better TN panels. I'm not impressed in any way , but not totally disgusted either. Now i have 14 ,or was it 30?, days to decide if i wanna keep it.

Status
Not open for further replies.