Solved! Help for corrupted video files on SONY Handycam

Mar 5, 2020
I have an important video file taken on a Sony Handycam HDR-cx300 that has a valid filename and reads the correct file size. It plays back fine on the camera, but I'm not able to use the file as is written to the memory chip. I can't open it with any of my video software, nor can I convert it to another format. Adobe Media Converter reported the file as "corrupted." Since it will still play back on the camera, is there a way to access the data?

Mar 5, 2020
I think that must be the best answer, esp. since the camcorder was set to dual record, which (I think) means it writes both to the chip and the camera's internal memory at the same time. Only, I can't yet seem to figure out how to copy from the internal memory. I've connected the camcorder to my PC via its own USB, but all my computer can seem to read is the removable chip. I'm trying to download Sony's software that was mentioned in the link you sent. Thanks a million but still wish me luck.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
I think that must be the best answer, esp. since the camcorder was set to dual record, which (I think) means it writes both to the chip and the camera's internal memory at the same time. Only, I can't yet seem to figure out how to copy from the internal memory. I've connected the camcorder to my PC via its own USB, but all my computer can seem to read is the removable chip. I'm trying to download Sony's software that was mentioned in the link you sent. Thanks a million but still wish me luck.
Good luck.

Mar 6, 2020
What's the video file format?
Also, did you manage to download it as per the instructions provided in the guide?
Might be worth checking the size of the file in the camera and compare it with that when downloaded to the PC.

laurayuan

Great
Jan 7, 2020
hi,
Try putting the storage card into a computer, either using a USB card reader or an inbuilt card reader (most laptops have these, though usually you'll need a Micro SD-->SD adaptor)... Sometimes a computer can still view the files, even if they are or appear to be corrupted.

Do NOT format the storage card if the computer (or your smartphone) asks you to, as this will wipe it!

Post back here and let us know how you go, so we can advise you further.