Help for Surround Sound

arsalanashraf

Estimable
May 6, 2015
Hey guys, I have a Sony TV KLV-32 R402A and a Samsung HT-F455BK 5.1CH (which has no HDMI Input). I Want to get 5.1 Surround on my PC. So I connected both to the TV through HDMI. My motherboard is Gigabyte H87-HD3 which has S/PDIF Out option in it but I can't connect it directly. Why does my TV give 2.1 channel sound through HDMI?

The only audio output your TV has is 2 channel analog stereo so if you select virtual surround on the HTiB you will get some surround sound. You can connect your PC for audio to the HTiB directly with the SPDIF out. If it is coax then you will need a coax to optical digital audio converter. Then you will get superior surround sound for the PC.

arsalanashraf

Estimable
May 6, 2015
Hey thanks for the reply. :)
Selecting the virtual surround does not give me 5.1 surround, its like a mixer button which copies front speakers (I think).

So I bought the S/PDIF cable and I cannot connect it to the motherboard (GIGABYTE H87-HD3) which has both S/PDIF Out and S/PDIF In (inside) options.
I have just a few questions:
1) Like you said, if I use a converter for optical, will going analogue give the same sound quality? because I heard optical is way better than analogue. (according to my knowledge.)

2)What is the exact thing needed here to connect my S/PDIF In. (Motherboard has 3 S/PDIF In pins inside)

3) Would it give me 5.1 DTS or AC3 for movies only for sure? Or am I wasting my money?