Help me choose a youtube microphone !

Vlad_14

Commendable
Sep 9, 2016
I'm planning on getting a microphone for youtube . My budget would be maximum 60 euros .I also want to use it for twitch streams .
From what I've seen , The Blue Snowball Ice , the Samson meteor are the only choices I have . Any other mic i should consider ? I heard about the Nw-700 mic , but I need some equipment for it . What exactly do i need ?
Also , take in consideration that im orderin from amazon.it .
I do also have the mic of my hyper x cloud 2 headset . Can I make it sound decent with some editing ? what programs should i use if so

Solution
the neewer microphones arent bad for being so cheap. video review https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqI96QWnpKk and he also mentions power requirements generally in his videos. give it a watch. technically he doesnt need an audio interface.. just phantom power and cable adapters but yes, audio interfaces are nice to have. doing so on a really small budget and in europe may be hard though.

the snowball ice is not a bad basic mic if you want basic usb connectivity.

you will want to use a pop filter and boom arm on either above.

hxc mic is so-so. it is what it is. you could always use a modmic instead and remove the hxc microphone if you prefer that. modmic quality is pretty good for a boom style mic.

Maarsch

Honorable
Sep 14, 2012
I got the snowball (not ICE) and it's a really nice mic. Hang it from a boom arm and put a pop filter in front of it.

The samson meteor isn't bad either, but the NW-700 is an XLR microphone, so you can't plug it directly into your computer. You'll have to put a mixer or smthg in between. Something that acts as pre-amp and converter. Mixers will come with volume sliders and mute button, which is nice. But finding one within your budget is tricky.

the neewer microphones arent bad for being so cheap. video review https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqI96QWnpKk and he also mentions power requirements generally in his videos. give it a watch. technically he doesnt need an audio interface.. just phantom power and cable adapters but yes, audio interfaces are nice to have. doing so on a really small budget and in europe may be hard though.

the snowball ice is not a bad basic mic if you want basic usb connectivity.

you will want to use a pop filter and boom arm on either above.

hxc mic is so-so. it is what it is. you could always use a modmic instead and remove the hxc microphone if you prefer that. modmic quality is pretty good for a boom style mic.

Solution

Vlad_14

Commendable
Sep 9, 2016
So , what should i buy for around 60euros ? you can go a lil bit over too . I jst want to know what i can buy around this budget . I may also just wait some time and get a pro setup , as it would have other benefits for me , as im planning to start a band in the future too , so some good mics will be good for the start . But now im talking strictly about what i should get for YT .

for more money? atr2500 from AT is good but dont see it on amazon it. at2020usb and blue yeti are good.

for your current budget, you could go with any of the solutions though be aware i know the nw700 may lack bass (The newest 1200 or whatever series isnt all that bad on bass for still a low price. they are xlr so you probably need a power source - watch the video. the meteor has a crappy stand, the snowball has some volume issues for some people. while any of them will work, none are without quirks. the co1u is a cheap mic often bought to start out too.

well, it doesnt specifically need to be the neewer phantom power but that would work. you'd need an xlr to 3.5mm cable too.. didnt see one in the product pictures so dont know if its included.

honestly either the snowball or nw could work. listen to youtube voice clips using them and see which you like best.

Vlad_14

Commendable
Sep 9, 2016
Btw , should i spend more to get the nw 800 ? The nw 700 costs 33 euros and nw 800 costs 38 (with the arm , shock mount and everything included for both) .
What do you mean it doesnt have to be the neewer one ? Is it bad or overkill ,or what do you mean ? Should I get something else ?
Conidering that I get no other accesories that are quite handy , i might go with nw . Plus , I find the snowball to be kind of .. silent . I would've preffered to get a bm 800 over the nw 800 / nw 700 , but i cant find it .

there are other 48v power adapters besides the one branded and marketed by neewer is what i meant. i dont think its a bad idea to get that one as its pretty much assured to work fine just that its not your only option.

yes, the snowball is a bit silent without the right adjustments. not a bad mic and i've heard great vocals on it but its also true that its not a rare comment for people to ask about the volume for it.

to me it sounded like the 1500 had a tinge more bass than the others but any of them are decent audio quality for such a low cost. there is certainly a difference between them and stuff at the atr2500/at2020/blueyeti level though.

Vlad_14

Commendable
Sep 9, 2016
Alright . Ill go with nw 800 or nw 700 , depends on what i can afford . So , besides the mic , boom arm , pop filter , shock mount and psu , do I need anything like additional cables or usb adapters ?
What about buying an audio interface ? What will they help me with ? Also , do they provide any phantom power ? Can I add one later , when I'll afford it ?

i believe the nw1500 requires phantom power like the rest. it sounds a little nicer to my ears anyways but is comparable.

you may need an xlr to 3.5mm cable. check if its included in the kit.

audio interfaces are nice in that you could listen to your voice live while you record as well as control volume levels. most of your good youtubers use them or some variation of them. many provide phantom power but there may be some that do not. scarlett makes some decent ones.

Vlad_14

Commendable
Sep 9, 2016
I don't know , he said the nw 1500 needs 5v . Still not low enough to use only as it is ? If i dont need to buy a psu , i wont.
i personally dont like the nw 1500 , sounds a bit silent too for me . If i were a guitarist , maybe .I'm a drummer so yeah , no interest in that yet . I'll probably do vocals though , but the nw 800 seems good for that too
it seems that all of them come with xlr to 3.5 mm cable .
So ill probably get the https://www.amazon.it/Neewer-Professionale-Radiotelevisivo-Registrazione-Alimentazione/dp/B00XBQ8UGG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1478805392&sr=8-1&keywords=nw+800 + the stand and pop filter https://www.amazon.it/gp/product/B01GRMF5ZE/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=AJ4D1MHV8SL86 and the psu https://www.amazon.it/gp/product/B019JWZCOS/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=AJ4D1MHV8SL86 .
Should I change anything ? Is the pop filter good , or should i change it ? Any other suggestions before I do the purchase?

Vlad_14

Commendable
Sep 9, 2016
Btw , if I can get something way better with like ~90 euro , let me know . I can maybe put up some money up to 90-100 euros , but from what I've seen the differences are not that big