help me chose the right gaming laptop with good HDMI

Notoriousboob

Honorable
Dec 19, 2013
im trying to buy a gaming laptop around 1000$ give or take. the laptop i have the HDMI will not center on any screen. i like to hook my laptop up to my TV for a larger screen quite often. i thought i had it all figured out until i read a review that said this review on a laptop i wanted

"Cons: Discrete graphics card only works with the laptop screen, and uses INTEL integrated graphics for output HDMI and MiniDisplayPort ports.
Can't get the GeForce to work on external monitors
Can't play my games on external monitors if I want to use the GeForce card I paid extra for
USB Type C does not accept external monitor connection
USB Type C port is is 3.0 and not 3.1"

im looking for a laptop which the discrete graphics card works for HDMI output as well. i just assumed every laptop of that brand is like that afterwards because most people who buy a laptop for gaming arent concerned as much about hooking it up to a big screen as far as i know.

Solution
Different hardware interacts with each other differently. For example, when I hooked up my old desktop with a Radeon HD 5850 back in 2010 to my HDTV and the screen was not centered; the displayed desktop was actually "too large" to fit on the HDTV even though the display resolution was set to 1080p and the HDTV was 1080p. I had to make a few minor adjustments on both my desktop and HDTV so that the video output was displayed properly.

I moved in 2012 and to make sure my HDTV operated properly I connected a Dell Latitude 3540 to my HDTV right after I set the HDTV down on it's stand. No adjustments were necessary, the 1080p desktop displayed properly on my 1080p HDTV.

Notoriousboob

Honorable
Dec 19, 2013

because i dont plan to only use an external screen at all times i want something that when i want my xbox hooked up to my tv to stream hulu while i still game on my laptop i can still do so. i want a laptop thats the only way i can put it. i have a standalone PC with decent performance already setup but i usually sit at my couch and do most my gaming nowdays and when i think of a mini PC i think about sitting at a computer desk. not to mention you cant leave a regular pc turned on while you are moving it around. if i wanna unhook my game from the tv so my friend can play xbox it literally takes seconds vs having to reboot everything.

Notoriousboob

Honorable
Dec 19, 2013
i have a wireless mouse and keyboard the mouse is propped up on a pillow so its at the right height with the keyboard on my lap while reclined back but i want something i can use while its not hooked up to an external monitor/tv a mini itx pc does not come with an attached screen because i am not always using my tv

It is not that the HDMI port is "bad", it is how the HDTV processes the HDMI signal, and then displays the signal on the screen. In some cases HDTVs overscans the signal meaning it desktop does not actually "fit" on the screen even if the HDTV is 1080p and the signal being sent to the HDTV is also 1080p.

You need to look through the HDTV's video menu to see if there are options to adjust for overscan.

Notoriousboob

Honorable
Dec 19, 2013

if i hook up my desktop with a gtx 770 HDMI to the same TV i have 0 issues but that pc blue screens and im tired of putting money into it i just want a laptop that has the hdmi hooked up directly to the nvidia graphics. no matter what tv i hook my laptop up to it will not center, no matter what tv i hook my desktop up to with the gtx770 in it, it centers properly without having to mess with it. i am having trouble believing a setting on my tv is the problem. the laptop i have is outdated only worth 200$ if it were brand new now i want something new. these are the stats my laptop is running intel core i5-4200U 6 gb ram with some crappy integrated graphics. it would be nice to get a laptop that utilizes its dedicated graphics for its HDMI unlike the one that i read a review about that had the stats i wanted.

Different hardware interacts with each other differently. For example, when I hooked up my old desktop with a Radeon HD 5850 back in 2010 to my HDTV and the screen was not centered; the displayed desktop was actually "too large" to fit on the HDTV even though the display resolution was set to 1080p and the HDTV was 1080p. I had to make a few minor adjustments on both my desktop and HDTV so that the video output was displayed properly.

I moved in 2012 and to make sure my HDTV operated properly I connected a Dell Latitude 3540 to my HDTV right after I set the HDTV down on it's stand. No adjustments were necessary, the 1080p desktop displayed properly on my 1080p HDTV.

Solution