Help me decide MSI GE60 Apache Pro vs MSI GE62 Apache?

efrommel

Estimable
Dec 29, 2014
Hi i want to buy one of this two computers but i dont know which one to get because i would like the better all around but dont want to spend if not necesary. I do some Gopro video editing, also play World of warcraft the latest expansion that is more demanding to play it in ultra settings than the other expansions. (Want to play smooth in ultra :)

this are the options:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00TUEP66K/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pd_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=1SS6S2RNXOI08&coliid=I2LXKSOE7IWHFW&psc=1

MSI GE60 Apache Pro
240gb SSD + 1Tb HDD
16GB Ram
Nvidia 960m

The thing with this one is that only have one fan and i dont know if is going to get too hot while playing or video editing. Also i think is a lilbit thicker than the GE62.

http://www.amazon.com/Apache-002-i7-4720HQ-7200rpm-Geforce-Computer/dp/B00RVUMUI2/ref=cm_cd_al_qh_dp_t

MSI GE62 Apache
1Tb HDD
16gb Ram
Nvidia 965m

this one have the two fans pointing backwards and also i think is slimmer, also is the newer model. BUT is more expensive than the other one.

Please someone that has knowledge about MSI please help me decide. I like both but want the better option.
Thanks for the help

NOTE: I have a SSD laying around 256 to add to either one.

Solution
for the MSI GS60 i own, MSI went with M.2 drives for their SSD's so unless your spare SSD is M.2 SATA then it wont fit with out removing the 1TB drive. i generally recommend going for the model with the SSD included already, because on some of their laptops you can not access any of the components with out voiding the warranty.

it looks like the new model draws air form the front and expels it out the back, this should be a far better cooling solution than the older model and remain quieter. MSI's also known to not use the best thermal component, so its quite common to hear of people re pasting their laptops and achieving a good 5 degrees or more cooler.

just my few cents.

pasow

Honorable
Nov 15, 2012
for the MSI GS60 i own, MSI went with M.2 drives for their SSD's so unless your spare SSD is M.2 SATA then it wont fit with out removing the 1TB drive. i generally recommend going for the model with the SSD included already, because on some of their laptops you can not access any of the components with out voiding the warranty.

it looks like the new model draws air form the front and expels it out the back, this should be a far better cooling solution than the older model and remain quieter. MSI's also known to not use the best thermal component, so its quite common to hear of people re pasting their laptops and achieving a good 5 degrees or more cooler.

just my few cents.

Solution

efrommel

Estimable
Dec 29, 2014

But you havent had any problems with overheating or other things with that model? I leainng towards the GE60 pro 867 what you think? its cheaper than the new GE62, plus have the ssd ready.

pasow

Honorable
Nov 15, 2012

i haven't had over heating problems yet, but the temperatures are right below the tipping point for it. GPU gets i into the high 80's and will throttle a little over 90c. CPU gets quite hot just running on its own, but not the broiling temperatures of the GPU. the fan gets really loud to keep it from overheating, so i tend to keep my CPU limited to 2.4GHz instead of letting it clock all the way up. however mine has its intake right under the screen, so the fans are quite open for expelling noise...

the GE60 pro 867 looks similar to the Apache i was looking at before going for the Ghost, what got me to change was the screen and the cooling. the parts are nearly identical but the GE60 pro 867 only has one exit vent, so it seemed inadequate. i would look up some reviews that include thermals before buying it. thankfully the GTX 960 runs cooler than the GTX 860, so it shouldn't be as difficult to cool. (most 860's were Kepler, while all 960's are Maxwell)

efrommel

Estimable
Dec 29, 2014

Im trying to find test or videos of the c temp of the GE60 pro 867 but cant find one that explains that. Thats one of my consents the one vent but i want the nvidia 960 so maybe shouldn't need the two vents.

All the reviews in youtube are for hte 860m model not the 960

pasow

Honorable
Nov 15, 2012

the Maxwell 860m will have basically the same thermals as the 960m, however the Kepler 860m will run warmer. if you can find reviews of either of those in the chassis you are looking at, it should either be around the same temps or lower.

shuegen

Estimable
Jul 8, 2015
I have just purchased the Ge62 Apache pro (2qf i think it was), and i am overall satisfied with the system. Excuse me for my [not-so] complete information though. I am not entirely tech-savvy. The laptop was purchased from XoticPC on amazon, and it came with the exact specs that you have described above except i have Nvidia 970m. Graphics are unbelievable. Laptop is unbelievable. Everything runs smooth and quickly. It takes a maximum of 5 seconds from click of the power button till it is on the start screen. It is seemingly thin and comfortable. I do have to say though that this laptop still gets hot during gameplay and does have a decently loud fan. You are faced with the option of turning the Fan-boost on and that is yet still louder. It does have the two backward facing exhausts, but I do recommend buying a decent cooling pad as with any other gaming laptop. I have recently tried out WoW with this laptop, and am able to play (without any problem at all) in ultra settings with 170-200 fps. Either way, I am in love with this laptop and they both offer some pretty great features, but i would go with the Ge62 based off of my knowledge with the heating and fan problem. Hope i could help at least a bit.

wunderbread

Estimable
Jun 28, 2015

Hi, what about for video and musis editing, specifically video via adobe PP and music recording and editing via reaper..will I be using this laptop anywhere near the power thats used while gaming? or will i be able to do all this without the ge62 apache-002 overheating..im not sure what kind of power pc games use, but im using an old 2006 macbook pro right now and the fan just got louder simply from my typing this comment. I wont be dissatisfied with a loud fan but id prefer it not be louder than this. Please let me know if my intended use for the ge62 apache-002 would cause it to overheat/generate loud fan noises. thanks!

shuegen

Estimable
Jul 8, 2015

pasow

Honorable
Nov 15, 2012

In my experience, gaming is the more strenuous activity as its hard on both the GPU and CPU, where as video production tends to be light on the GPU and heavy on the CPU. this will be significantly faster than a 2006 Macbook Pro, however switching from OSX to Windows can be a short stop for most. but to elaborate, i found the noise on my GS60 (it might be noisier than the Apache) to be too loud when stressing the CPU, so i set the power management in windows to limit the CPU to 99% which prevented the CPU from turboing but let it clock up to its rated 2.4GHz which helped a lot with the noise. so, while im not getting the most performance out of my laptop, its CPU is still quite fast. its rare that i feel i need to lift the limiter to move things along faster. when doing more general activity's, its relatively quiet for running a fan at 1500rpm.

I'm hoping Efrommel will chime in at some point with some feed back sense his models closer to yours than mine.

wunderbread

Estimable
Jun 28, 2015
Thank you Pasow and Shuegen..yes hopefully others could chime in as well but since my laptop will be used for 90% video editing a d music editing as the CPU intensive aspects (aside from general web browsing and video of course) I think I have decided on the MSI ge62 apache-082 over the Asus dog gl551jw-ds71..it has a higher CPU and 12gb of ram should be plenty for now and if not its easily upgradeable. The only thing I was concerned about is that I've heard the trackpad isn't the best because its also brushed alum..but I think I can overlook that. And I can always upgrade to an sad which is ultimately cheaper than buying it are installed. Now I'll have to re learn some things in windows since it has been a very long time and I'll have to figure out how to set the power management. I've also heard some people talk about laptops using the built in part of the graphics as opposed to the dedicated graphics card..is there any way for me to check if this computer does this once I receive it? If it is doing it, how would I fix that?

pasow

Honorable
Nov 15, 2012

BTW, the maximum amount of RAM you can install in that laptop is 16GB's. (this is typical though) and i have yet to meet a Windows laptop that has a track pad i don't want to gouge my eyes out from using in the last few years. seems its been the universal point of failure. but, mice are plentiful and that's how i use mine, a track pads cumbersome anyways for content creation like your planing on doing.

Windows power managements easy to set. there's two ways to get to it, one is from the battery icon on the right side of the task bar, the other from control panel at "Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Power Options". from there you can select form predefined plans, and customize them till your hearts content by selecting "Change Plan Settings" and opening the "change advanced power settings" option. in there, you will have access to a lot. this is where you can set the time out for turning off the display and the computer automatically entering leap mode when left unattended. to limit the CPU head to the "Processor Power Management" section and set the "Maximum Processor State" to your desired level. 100% allows the CPU to behave according to the BIOS. 99% will disable the turbo feature, and settings less than that will decrease the maximum clocking allowed. you can check what speed the CPU is running at in Windows 8 and up in the Task Manager.

the graphics will default to using the Intel integrated for everything except for known games in the drivers. to force a program to use the dedicated GPU, you can do it from the launcher for the application by right clicking > Run with Graphics Processor > High Performance. that will run it one time on that GPU, like wise you can do that to shuttle any application to any GPU. if you want it to remember this select the "Change Default Graphics Processor..." option instead of a GPU to open up Nvidia Control Panel and it will auto populate with the application. form there, just set the desired GPU in section 2 of the dialog and hit apply!