Help me decide!

AnnoyingZlatan

Honorable
Dec 25, 2012
Ok, so I'm looking to buy myself a laptop. I dont want it for gaming, I want it for basic stuff, like browsing net, watching movies, but on the other side I want it to be confident and dont lag when playing 1080p video xD

I want to decide between these two :
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c03834006&tmp_task=prodinfoCategory&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&product=5398421

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834314119 (in my store this comes with 8 gigs of ram and 1 tb hdd, but most concerns are cpu and gpu)

So yeah, I know that there is big difference between these two guys. Difference in price around 150 $ / 100 GBP. Is it worth that extra money and go for Acer or the HP will do its job aswell?

PyjamasCat

Honorable
Mar 20, 2013
The Acer is stronger than the HP, but the screen resolution is lower. The Acer is 1366x786, while the HP is 1600x900. Neither being 1080p (both are lower), but the HP has a higher resolution and larger screen. Both could do what you want them for but the HP will likely encounter lag and appear to age faster than the Acer, (due to the Acer not needing as powerful GPU but GPU is stronger anyway). The HP will have a better picture because it has a larger screen at a slightly higher DPI and higher res. The size difference will also show in portability, if you want a more portable laptop, the Acer will be the way to go.

I agree with PyjamasCat. There are some pros and cons to both, but overall, the Acer is the better system in this comparison. I don't think the resolution difference would strike you as tremendous if you compared each system side by side, either.

AnnoyingZlatan

Honorable
Dec 25, 2012
Yeah, since I also forgot to mention that I would use my laptop as a backup drive and acer has 1 tb compared to hp's 500 gb and 8 gb of ram compared to 4gb I also think acer is way to go....

But nobody has answered my key question yet : is acer worth that extra 150$/100 gbp compared to hp?

PyjamasCat

Honorable
Mar 20, 2013

It depends if you will use that extra power it has available. I would say not initially, but it will come in handy later on. When or if you run small applications and games. For Backing up data, I would suggest an external HDD for ease of access across multiple PCs, but the 1TB in the laptop would also be fine, you just might have to transfer data twice.