Help me find a decent camera to record with!

CrysisX

Estimable
Apr 5, 2014
Hello everyone,

I'm looking for a camera to start recording (and editing) my own YouTube videos and need some insight. I'm not too sure what the people are using most of the time, but I can't imagine it's anything insane. Not sure what a "good one" would go for, but I don't want a cheap one, so if it's under $1000.00 USD that'd be great.

I already have a Sony Camcorder that shoots 1080p, but it's not the greatest (was about 350$)
Have a Canon T1i and GoPro Hero 4 Black as well.

Thank you so much!

Solution
A DSLR offers the advantage of interchangeable lenses and it will be difficult to find a camcorder with interchangeable lenses in that price range (unless you find a good used one). It depends too on whether or not taking pictures is important to you as well. While many, if not all, camcorders have the ability to take still photos they tend not be as good as those taken with a DSLR or camera. If interchangeable lenses are not important to you then you may want to go with a camcorder.

Camcorders to consider:
Canon 32GB VIXIA HF G20 Full HD camcorder - I have two of these and am pleased with the video quality. This camcorder has many manual controls in addition to headphone and microphone jacks, has 32GB of internal storage and...

CrysisX

Estimable
Apr 5, 2014

What would give me better quality at that budget range? (DSLR or camcorder), I'd like a combination of the two for sure.

A DSLR offers the advantage of interchangeable lenses and it will be difficult to find a camcorder with interchangeable lenses in that price range (unless you find a good used one). It depends too on whether or not taking pictures is important to you as well. While many, if not all, camcorders have the ability to take still photos they tend not be as good as those taken with a DSLR or camera. If interchangeable lenses are not important to you then you may want to go with a camcorder.

Camcorders to consider:
Canon 32GB VIXIA HF G20 Full HD camcorder - I have two of these and am pleased with the video quality. This camcorder has many manual controls in addition to headphone and microphone jacks, has 32GB of internal storage and dual SD card slots.

Panasonic HC-X920 3MOS Ultrafine Full HD Camcorder
Panasonic HC-V750 Full HD Camcorder

Digital Cameras to consider:
Nikon D3200
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1
Nikon D5300
Nikon D7100

Most DSLR's have a continuous video recording limit so be sure to see what the limit is. I really don't think that will be a problem for you. I have shot video using a Canon T4i and have been pleased with the quality of the video. The T4i has been replaced by the T5i. Nikon has a great reputation for quality builds and quality video and photographs.

Solution

CrysisX

Estimable
Apr 5, 2014

Thanks for such an elaborate response, I'll start looking at those cameras now.

I have the Canon T1i, and it records fairly well, but (taking still photos out the equation) what are the other differences between getting a camcorder and DSLR ?

You may find the following articles a useful read:

HDSLRs vs Camcorders: Some Basic Pros and Cons to Help You Choose

DSLR vs Camcorder

Video DSLRs vs Camcorders

Something else to consider is sensor size if low-light performance is important. The smaller the sensor size the worse the low-light performance. DSLR's generally give you more control over the shoot with more manual controls and options. Manual controls do matter as you don't want to rely on the autofocus and other auto features. The manual features may take some time to learn but are well worth the effort.

CrysisX

Estimable
Apr 5, 2014

Alright then, looks like I have some more reading to do before Cyber Monday ends! Thanks again

Glad I could help. I would love to hear what you decide to get.