Help me pick a cell phone

RAMEON01

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2009
Hello all, I'm in the market for a new phone now that my current AT&T 2 year contract is up on my RAZR and I have a few questions.

1. Most importantly I'm looking for one that has MP3 playback quality that of my Zune and be able to "drag and drop" mp3 files from my PC.
2. Have a decent camera, 3mp bare minimum as my RAZR's 1.3 is just piss poor. Also video capturing would be nice but not required.
3. Not gawdy with a million buttons on the face of the phone. I want a cell pnone, not a laptop.
4. I spend alot of time outdoors hunting, fishing, biking, running, ect... So I need something pretty durable and not going to break on the first drop.
5. 8-10/10 on the "quality" scale. Money really isnt an issue. Iphone 3gs 32gb price range.

I know this site is 80-90% Iphone, Microsoft, Apple haters lol :hello: so please try to be unbiased. I'm looking at the Iphone 3GS 32gb really hard, as with my new contract I can get it for $300. The exploding thing doesnt bother me in the least, tens of thousands sold and only a dozen or so bad, hell those arnt as bad of odds as everyone makes it out to be if their true. The only thing really straying me away is I cannot "drag and drop" my mp3 music files from my PC to Iphone, (or can I?). I'm replacing my Zune 4gb too as I love it its just too small of storage and if I cant get a phone that has pc to phone capabilities I'm going to get the new Zune HD 120gb. But I'd like to get 2 birds with one stone here and get something that does both. Sorry for the lengthy post but I'm trying to be as descriptive as I can. Thanks in advance

Solution
Yes iPHONE 3GS is a very good choice,also u can easily drag and drop your musics from PC.
iTunes 9 has just been released and it has got a better syncing too,so no problems here.

If u like iPhone OS,then go for iPhone 3GS,if u like Winmo then some HTC devices like Touch Pro 2 and Touch Diamond 2 are good too
Yes iPHONE 3GS is a very good choice,also u can easily drag and drop your musics from PC.
iTunes 9 has just been released and it has got a better syncing too,so no problems here.

If u like iPhone OS,then go for iPhone 3GS,if u like Winmo then some HTC devices like Touch Pro 2 and Touch Diamond 2 are good too

Solution

milly555

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2009
There are a lot of cell phone made in china with high quality and novel appearance and strong function,if you want to get a satisfactory mobile phone,you may choose the way shopping online,http://www.nowsupplir provide more choice,those phones are pretty good,not long before,i buy one as gift to give nephew,he like it very much.you may try on.

btk1w1

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2008
The HTC Hero is probably the best iPhone alternative.

I'm waiting for it to be released here. With Google Android "Cupcake" OS, it is the next best thing. I believe before long it will be a worthy competitor to the iPhone because of Google apps.

Although it is one of the strongest competitors, the reviews I have read all say that it doesn't quite come up to scratch.

RAMEON01

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2009
I just got back from the AT&T store earlier with my new IPhone 3GS 32 GB. This thing is sweet! Already have all my music and new apps on it lol, and still have 20 gig left! It took me a good hour how to go "back" to the main menu but its all good now. Thanks for the help.

Yes HTC HERO has a great UI but it has it own problems too:
http://www.gsmarena.com/htc_hero-review-382.php

Main disadvantages

* No video-call camera
* No FM radio
* No camera flash, dedicated shutter key or lens cover
* Camera features are a bit outdated
* CIF@15fps video recording (352 x 288 pixels) is below par
* No TV-out port
* No voice dialing
* Flash video playback is laggy
* Somewhat limited 3rd party software availability
* No DivX or XviD video support or a third-party application to play that
* Poor MP4 playback performance - barely watchable in video resolution above QVGA
* No Bluetooth file transfers (not without rooting)
* No proper file manager (not without rooting)

RAMEON01

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2009
Hmmm. I guess I have a bad battery or something. I've only had the phone 2 days and it's on charge for the 3rd time now. I let it drain to 15-20% then charge to 100% via PC the first 2 times now trying the wall socket attachment to see it that helps. It goes from 100% to 20-30% in about 7-10 hours just by texting and browsing youtube? I hope thats not the norm ;(

tupix

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
WinMo's devices have advantages as the iPhone/Android/BB/WebOS/..., u must be sure about one thing: what do i need from a smartphone?

iPhone is the best device for internet - no doubt e no question about it - e the most fun to use. But if u need the Office... Or if u need somenthing really important, maybe there isn't an app for your necessity.

With a WiMo device, u'll be able to conect it to any kind of computer, becouse it'll be recognized as an flash memory, but to use your iPhone into another pc... install iTunes! It's just a little annoying!

TCPMP for WinMo support many video formats, include MKV, MP4 (h.264, iPhone Format), FLV and WMV, so, probably u won't even convert your videos to watch on the device! And how it's work on iPhone???

u asked informations and help, so...

sedaine

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2007
Sony Xperia X10 - Best phone hardware wise as of Jan 5 2010.

Only downside is Android 1.6.

Otherwise it's a beast of a phone.

- 1 Ghz processor
- 8.1 megapixel camera
- 4.0 inch screen (854 X 480)

Less than 10 days to go before I can get my hands on this baby!

undergroundpp

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2010
Nexus 1 baby. I went from Blackberry storm to Moto Droid and finally broke down and bought the Nexus.. It is the best phone i have ever used. My family that have iphone like it more than than their phone.

TheGreatGrapeApe

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2003
Today, my walk-around primary is the Motorola Milestone (and I have every phone in the list sofar) with the iPhone and Bold as my 'also ran' phone on my person (and the Palm Treo Pro my sentimental favourite with the Kyo to round out the OSs :sol: ), but in a few months I would change that recommendation again to something new... :evil:

Main thing is that the Milestone does well with the Android OS, is fast, does multi-media well, has a serious camera (although it sucks at low-light macro), and is thin, while being a slider built like a tank.

I like the LG Monaco/IQ (GW820/825) as a good WinMob device but am disappointed in the internet navigation and multi-media aspect, and especially the headphone limitations through the charger port.