Help me pick a laptop for my dad

apress155

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
So I'm looking for something small for my father. He has an Acer Aspire One right now. Its ancient and sloooow. The specs are laughable, 1gb RAM, 1.x dual core processor... I'm thinking netbook but open to all suggestions. He has a work computer but if this thing is powerful enough I could see him turning this machine into his main rig. So a normal sized laptop isn't completely out of the question. If 600 isn't enough for a decent machine, then this would be a internet browsing, youtube, forum machine than anything else. I thought maybe a tablet but he is used to a keyboard as he posts on a lot of forums, etc

Wants:
At least 4gb ram
200gb+ HDD
Core i3 or faster (prefer Intel)
Graphics chip set don't really matter
Maximum screen size of 15" (negotiable)
CD drive - optional
USB ports - at least one
Peripherals (camera/mic, etc not necessary)
Budget is a maximum of $600

A tablet isn't totally out of the question but it HAS to have an attatchable keyboard and preferrably be able to sit comfortably on a lap.

If he wanted a desktop I wouldn't be here but I know nothing about mobile chip sets. Thanks again for any assistance.

geofelt

Distinguished
My go to source for laptops is Lenovo outlet.
Any will have a cpu that is fast enough.
I plan on replacing the hard drive with a ssd which makes all the difference in the world. I have done this on every laptop I own. Ram is easy to upgrade also, but most will have 4gb.
I particularly like the thinkpad units.
Here is one for $428. Add a 240gb Samsung evo to replace the hard drive.
http://outlet.lenovo.com/outlet_us/itemdetails/R90ACPCG-20ATCTR1WW/445

Solution