Jan 17, 2012
==========

General Questions

1) What is your budget? About $1500

2) What size notebook would you prefer?
Mainstream; 15" - 16" screen
Desktop Replacement; 17"+ screen
3) Where will you buying this notebook? US

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
a. Like:
b. Dislike:

5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed? yes

6) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook? This will be our families primary computer. It will be used to edit lots of pictures and some videos. I have not been much of gamer in 10 years or so but would love to give the Old Republic a try.

7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both? Mainly on the desk, but it may travel some. Would definitely like to be able to use it to browse while on the couch. I am selling my Ipad 2 to help fund this.

8) Will you be playing games on your notebook? If so, please state which games or types of games? The Old Republic

9) How many hours of battery life do you need? 3-4

10) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK? I can buy in store or online. I would like the notebook to be as thin and good looking as possible

11) What OS do you prefer? Windows (XP or Vista or Windows 7), Mac OS, Linux, etc. - Windows 7

Screen Specifics

12) From the choices below, what screen resolution(s) would you prefer? Keep in mind screen size in conjunction with resolution will play a large role in overall viewing comfort level.
Highest resolution possible

13) Do you want a Glossy/reflective screen or a Matte/non-glossy screen? I think Matte is what most people are going for.

Build Quality and Design

14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you? Yes

15) When are you buying this laptop? Next Month or so

16) How long do you want this laptop to last? 3-4 years

Notebook Components

17) How much hard drive space do you need; 80GB to 640GB? Do you want a SSD drive?
Would like SSD but budget probably want allow. Also would like large harddrive for pic storage.

18) Do you need an optical drive? If yes, a CDRW/DVD-ROM, DVD Burner or Blu-Ray drive? Not sure on this. Would I be better without an optical drive and just buying an external drive? Could this make a custom laptop thinner?

==========

I currently have an early 2008 imac that I am considering selling. It is a good computer, but I get frustrated when I want to use a program that isn't mac compatible and have to boot into windows. Ideally, their would be something similar to an ultrabook with a 15" screen that had a separate gpu and would be pretty good for gaming. I haven't purchased a laptop in a long time so I am not real up on them at the moment. Just beginning my search. I love the profile and form factor of the ultrabooks and I believe they could do pretty much everything I need with the exception of playing TOR well. I have even considered just buying a desktop, but I feel like the portability of a laptop would be nice. As you can tell, I am wide open and just trying to find the PC for our family. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

mathnino

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2012
About with $1500 budget, you can probably buy a SSD, although personally I wouldn't sacrifice much money for one (especially if you need to use a lot of space for videos, I would recommend HDD). Ehh you pretty much can buy any high end laptop with $1500 I believe, as long as its not Macbook.
Although I've never done video editing myself, it seems like that unless you're a hardcore 3d video editer, you don't need the best graphics card out there. surely you wouldn't want a intel hd 3000 either for your gaming purposes, although it seems like TOR doesn't need a high-end graphics card. But along with CPU, RAM seems very important.
Lastly, uhmm. you're looking at ultrabooks? so do you want portability? I'm not sure if this is combinable with the top..
So combining everything on the top, I'd just say buy a laptop from HP.com. with a coupon, I'm sure you can save a lot of money. If you need somewhat high end laptop, my customized laptop is this.
DV6t quad edition with i7 2670, Radeon 7690M (upgraded from 7470M because its just worth $75), 8Gb RAM, 750GB 5400rpm (upgradable to 7200rpm with $20), 1920*1080 display.
This would be a high-end laptop with probably TOR playable with almost everything high video settings. not to mention the latest i7 would give you a blast in video editing. and with a coupon, it's only $959
If you would insist on spending more money for RAM and SSD, you can get 160GB SSD with extra $150 and 12GB RAM with extra $200 or 16Gb RAM with extra $400. Personally, I wouldn't say the RAM is worth it, but you can consider the SSD if really necessary.
Try customizing it yourself in the site
http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/shopping/computer_series.do?storeName=computer_store&category=notebooks&series_name=dv6tqe_series
and don't forget the NBL9438 coupon code. $415 discount without instant rebate.
good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.