Help needed for an OAP

littlenorty

Estimable
Jul 2, 2015
After your help, there is an OAP in the sheltered accommodation that my wife runs that has a problem with is Toshiba Windows 8 laptop.
just been round there and the laptop has a very strange old fashioned log in screen, the only password he has on the computer dosen't work in this screen, his password is 11 characters long and this screen will only let you put in 10 characters. Pressing the enter key brings up a message saying press enter to shut down computer but this only puts it in standby mode. You can't get past this logon screen to aceess the computer, pointing the mouse to the bottom right hand corner dosen't bring up the windows side bar.
I have tried to turn the computer off by holding down the power button (longest time I tried holding it down for was a minute) but again it only seems to put it in standby mode - I had planned to boot in safe mode and re-install a fresh installation of Win 8.
To make it worse the laptop doesn't have a removable battery I can take out.

He is lost with out his laptop so any help would be greatly appreciated.

littlenorty

Estimable
Jul 2, 2015

Thanks trouble is I can't get the laptop off the login screen, cancel, back or anything doesn't work it lets you enter a password so its not frozen.

littlenorty

Estimable
Jul 2, 2015

No I don't think so when you press it will enter what I think is the standbye mode, the screen goes blank then if you press it the screen comes on instantly.

littlenorty

Estimable
Jul 2, 2015

Tried it for 5, 10 and 30 seconds to no avail, appreciate all the help.

littlenorty

Estimable
Jul 2, 2015

Didn't know that trick, I pop over and see him tomorrow to give it a try. Many thanks

littlenorty

Estimable
Jul 2, 2015

Thanks for all the help, unfortunately shift 5 times or windows r didn't work in getting to the command prompt.