Help, new mobo and laptop is overheating...

stillupinthis

Estimable
Jan 30, 2015
I have a Dell e6530 and I replaced my mobo 3 months ago. I never had overheating issues with my old mobo. For the past week, my laptop has been overheating and shutting down by itself. I always work on a hard surface. My fan is working. I am very confident that I seated the heatsink properly and used the correct amount of thermal paste (grain of rice). I used Artic MX-2, not the best in the world but should good enough to do the trick. My laptop shuts off anywhere between 65c and 70c. I cannot use my laptop more than half an hour browsing the internet. I am buying a cool pad but I don't think that will help any. Any ideas what would cause my overheating or ideas to help cool my laptop down?

stillupinthis

Estimable
Jan 30, 2015
Update: I removed my heat sink, reapplied the thermal grease on the CPU (i5 Ivy) and I even put a small dot on my PCH. There wasn't any on the PCH before but I figured since the heat sink makes contact with it I might as well. There was no dust in the laptop and now I have a cheap cooling pad underneath it. I average about 55 c browsing the internet. I know that sounds high but I have an extensive Rainmeter running on the desktop and I use McAfee (which loves to use 100 cpu during brief scans) I am not experiencing any performance issues. But my laptop just shut off again!! What is going on? I have 8gb RAM and 124 ssd. I can give you guys any other info you need to help me solve this. Please, I love this laptop, I don't wanna see it die.