Help !! Please rescue me from annoying background dialling sound on Laptop

Nov 1, 2021
Hi all..

I am new here and wondering if anyone can help me with the most annoying problem..

I use a Toshiba Qosmio laptop running windows 10.. and for a long time now.. I have this annoying dialling sound coming though the speakers on a 2nd monitor I have connected via a VGA cable.. The monito is a Compaq WF 1907 The sound never seems to come from my laptop if not connected to the monitor..

The sound is like there is a program trying to connect via a dialup modem.. Remember that sound you used to get when it would dial.. but then if the number was a wrong number.. you would just get that beep beep beep sound..

Apart from the fact it is somewhat annoying.. my real concern is that it is a virus.. that is trying to connect my computer to some person or organisation with some nefarious intent.. That and the trepidation I feel every time it dials thinking.. What the hay ho.. what if one time it actually connected to somewhere.. and someone actually answered.. I think I would leap out of my friggin chair..

I have tried monitoring activity through Windows task manager to see if any strange apps show up.. but I never see anything.. but then I am also not that sure about many of the system processes anyway..

So if anyone could cast some light on this it would be most awesome..

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D Antivirus / Security / Privacy 1
S Antivirus / Security / Privacy 1
C Antivirus / Security / Privacy 5
L Antivirus / Security / Privacy 4
M Antivirus / Security / Privacy 5
H Antivirus / Security / Privacy 4
F Antivirus / Security / Privacy 1
J Antivirus / Security / Privacy 1
N Antivirus / Security / Privacy 10
B Antivirus / Security / Privacy 1
K Antivirus / Security / Privacy 3