Help Recommend my mom a laptop.

tsmith09

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2009
1. What is your budget? Under 800$ or something that is good for the prices

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering? 15" or bigger

3. What screen resolution do you want? Doesn't matter

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop? Desktop Replacing

5. How much battery life do you need? Not important, but good enough.

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)? Java games and flash games, nothing too fancy. I'm sure integrated graphics would be good enough.

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.) Basically, internet surfing and playing flash/java games, watching movies.

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need? 500 GB

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links. Not Important.

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop? The tasks it's being used for probably won't be out-dated. Preferably 7+ years.

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ? Preferably Bluray ROM, but DVDRom/writer will be perfectly fine if not.

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
Any company that's reliable.

13. What country do you live in?
USA

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.
Would like windows 7 64bit on it. 4GB of ram. Intel would be nice.
She's had the same laptop for 10+ years, it was a Sony VAIO and it finally went caput. She doesn't want something too extreme, because she won't be doing too much on it, but she wants something that is speedy.

Solution
laptop.. i purchase tablet to my mom she love it~ so much.
because you know she only does email check, write simple message, watch youtube video, + of tablet is longer battery life, carry every where, (i personally enjoy tablet in bathroom lol) beautiful icons and app's (she love to play angry birds),

However you asked

this one really good price + good spec
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834157822
btw tomorrow is black friday lol wait til tomorrow for cheaper price and free shipping~

monitor size is really matter of who and what software are used. Therefore...

tsmith09

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2009
I showed her http://www.toshibadirect.com/td/b2c/retail-product.jsp?poid=2000012998. It's such a good deal right now, but there aren't many reviews for it yet. Has anyone had experience with the Satellite series?

andywork78

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2011
laptop.. i purchase tablet to my mom she love it~ so much.
because you know she only does email check, write simple message, watch youtube video, + of tablet is longer battery life, carry every where, (i personally enjoy tablet in bathroom lol) beautiful icons and app's (she love to play angry birds),

However you asked

this one really good price + good spec
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834157822
btw tomorrow is black friday lol wait til tomorrow for cheaper price and free shipping~

monitor size is really matter of who and what software are used. Therefore 15~15.3 is good for every day. 15.3~17/17.3 is gaming and graphic design used. However having a big screen is never give you bad time.

3. What screen resolution do you want? Doesn't matter
most of all laptop spec on website they will tell you what's the resolution of there laptop.
One thing i must tell you do not purchase resolution under 1330x600.
bad bad bad resolution.

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop? Desktop Replacing
oh oh oh you looking for powerful laptop. Forget about that i just give you the link
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834158074
this is $800+ model. very good for desktop replacement.

5. How much battery life do you need? Not important, but good enough.
Most high end laptop don't have longer battery life. most 1:47 ~ 3:00 max.
If you looking for longer max longer battery life then you must purchase apple laptop which cost more then $1000.00 don't forget + tax lol lol apple

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)? Java games and flash games, nothing too fancy. I'm sure integrated graphics would be good enough.

Link that i already give you the laptop it has good agp on it. don't worry flash will burn in monitor.

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.) Basically, internet surfing and playing flash/java games, watching movies.

For doing does i feel don't need desktop replace laptop. However try both laptop link i give you and think about tablet too~

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need? 500 GB

Most newer laptop comes with 320GB and 500GB. Personally i always buy less ram and HDD on it. And i only spend less then $90 for upgrade both units.
Because when i try to upgrade from manufacture they charge me over price tag. lol
Newegg is good choice for upgrade~

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links. Not Important.
Go a bestbuy or frys for offline shopping (some time you can pickup really good laptop for cheaper then online) or Newegg.com

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop? The tasks it's being used for probably won't be out-dated. Preferably 7+ years.

Please don't... i try that even i still have 2001 hp laptop. It's still running but slow like hell~
Take good care + clean dust every month like what i did. Then you can keep laptop for more then 3years but after 3years pass you must give up replacement battery from there company. No longer made by them.

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ? Preferably Bluray ROM, but DVDRom/writer will be perfectly fine if not.
Looking for bluray build in... cost too high... I feel don't need bluray on pc or laptop, because there price is expensive then SSD lol

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
Any company that's reliable.

Personally HP - most of people don't like but i do, because i had update driver and bios for more then 3years.
Sony - i like them but i don't like there keyboards.
Dell - damn... looks so cheep.
Other brand - i don't know. i didn't try yet.

13. What country do you live in?
USA - same here.

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.
Would like windows 7 64bit on it. 4GB of ram. Intel would be nice.
She's had the same laptop for 10+ years, it was a Sony VAIO and it finally went caput. She doesn't want something too extreme, because she won't be doing too much on it, but she wants something that is speedy.

most of all laptop build in with 64bit os and 4gb ram.
She looking for little bit speedy? then must upgrade 8gb ram and 7200rpm HDD. If laptop already has 6gb then don't need to upgrade.

good luck~

Solution

tsmith09

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2009
Thanks for your reply andywork, I can tell you're learning english, keep it up ;).

I think she's settled on the http://tinyurl.com/7vabqay. 450$ and It'll do everything she needs. She didn't need more than 4GB Ram, and I doubt she'll ever come close to exceeding that. And I decided laptop over tablet/notebook because they're generally more powerful, and she won't be on the go with it, so weight isn't too big of an issue. I felt that the integrated graphics was fine because she will never be in a Direct3D game.

I will keep that idea in mind about buying less HDD and RAM, then upgrading it later for cheaper though. Thanks everyone.