Help removing virus (long story)

s7zero7

Distinguished
May 29, 2014
UPDATE: I discovered an ad-ware virus by "conduit", and have taken every measure to eliminate it, I appear to have suceeded as I can now DOWNLOAD AND WATCH YOUTUBE VIDEOS, I reinstalled adblock and now ads have ceased. So it all appears well for now. Thank everyone of TomsHardware for all the help!

Windows Security Essentials detected a virus named "Hacktool:MSIL/Gendows" and I clicked delete, however my computer is still running
very slow and has random ads assigned to words, my chrome adblocker is now blank when I click it and many pages are LITTERED with ads. THIS IS NOT A CHROME EXTENSION.

I looked at a few tutorials to remove it online, most said some files I need to delete in safe mode such as:
%AllusersProfile&\[RANDOM]
%AllusersProfile&\ Application Data
C:/Windows/System32/ Svchost.exe

But I don't have most of these files, and I'm too scared to delete something from system 32, aswell as it having a protection by "Trusted Installer" preventing me from doing so.
However I don't have any of the files it says to delete, and there are no "suspicious" processes in task manager. I don't even have the regedit entries that belong to the virus, even though I have it.

Help would be GREATLY appreciated, I've been fighting this all day and all I want to do is watch freaking youtube videos.

ALSO NOTEWORTHY, Whatever I try to download fails, the download time goes insanely high for even kilobytes worth of files and then it goes blank, and fails.

Solution
Hello,

Also download HitmanPro www.surfright.nl - Malwarebytes Antimalware www.malwarebytes.org - SUPERAntiSpyware www.superantispyware.com

Run these through your computer until they all come out clean - as a technician these were my go-to programs (the easy to use ones)

I 2nd the use of Avast or AVG (I prefer Avast) as MS Security Essentials has always been junk in my experience

mgolus

Honorable
Apr 25, 2012
The injected hyperlinks can be caused by a malicious browser extension. If you are using Chrome, go to the Menu (top right) -> Tools -> Extensions. Check to see if there are any extensions you don't recognize. In Internet Explorer you can check the same thing under File -> Manage Add-Ons (assuming you are running the latest version).

Also I would recommend downloading the free Avast or AVG antivirus software. These will do a better job of cleaning and protecting your PC than Windows Security Essentials.

fricklesmn

Estimable
Feb 22, 2014
Hello,

Also download HitmanPro www.surfright.nl - Malwarebytes Antimalware www.malwarebytes.org - SUPERAntiSpyware www.superantispyware.com

Run these through your computer until they all come out clean - as a technician these were my go-to programs (the easy to use ones)

I 2nd the use of Avast or AVG (I prefer Avast) as MS Security Essentials has always been junk in my experience

Solution

s7zero7

Distinguished
May 29, 2014

Sorry I should have also mentioned...the icing of the cake...ANY DOWNLOAD I try to do, even around 1000kb, the download time spikes up to 45< minutes and then it goes blank, and fails.

s7zero7

Distinguished
May 29, 2014

Thanks for the help but it wasn't an extension. Also, I have updated the post about my download problem..

fricklesmn

Estimable
Feb 22, 2014
You could try rebooting in "Safe Mode with Networking" and attempt the downloads again. Sometimes this helps to bypass any excess from starting up

Windows XP/Vista/7 - repeatedly press F8 just before windows starts

Windows 8 - Hold Shift while clicking the Power Button then Restart on screen, and select it from there

s7zero7

Distinguished
May 29, 2014

I did manage to download some antivirus software, I already had malwarebyte too, but neither of them detect the virus whatsoever, this is really frustrating me as it appears as if my PC is completely fine, the files in regedit aren't there either.

s7zero7

Distinguished
May 29, 2014

Alright ill try to download TDSSkiller. Ill let you know how it goes. For the record, again, my "harmful software" was called Hacktool:MSIL/Gendows and I couldn't understand much by looking it up, if you know anything it would be helpful.

s7zero7

Distinguished
May 29, 2014

Kaspersky TDSS killer didn't detect anything...what is up with this damn virus.