Help restoring to a new hard disk from DVDs

guygamps

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2012
Hi, My ACER 5630 (centrino duo) has been showing signs of hard disk failure

Most start ups. it runs checkdisk,

sometimes (about 1 in 5 it wont boot at all)

so, I have bought new Samsung 2.5" IDE hard disk (160GB) for it

I have a set up of recovery disks, (DVDs) which I made use the the provided Acer tool when the computer was new "out of box" in 2008. I know that these recovery disks work perfectly becuse I have tested them by successfully running the recovery tool off the DCD and making a restore from this disks, back to the factory new condition, I did this with the original hard disk still installed, but the problems persist (so I do think the hard disk is the issue).

Now I bought a new hard disk to replace the original but, this is what happens with the new hard disk

The disk fits perfectly, it sits in the cradle same way as old disk and connects identically and connects perfectly no issues.

On boot up if I go to the BIOS (F2) it is detected correctly

the Recovery DVD starts running fine, exactly as I saw before, it asks to select language, warns it will wipe Disk C, but then.... nothing...

it does not progress, it does not start formatting the C drive, or writing to the new disk, the computer just sits there with a grey screen a mouse icon in middle, doing nothing.

I thought maybe the new hard disk was faulty, and the supplier exchanged it fo another one, but it does the same.

So why is this process failing? why can I not run recovery DVD disk to a newly installed hard disk?

any ideas?

price_th

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2012
Haven't used the recovery method. If your old drive is still hanging on, I would Ghost from one drive to the other. That way you get everything complete. Set options to ignor errors. That can be fixed later if need be.