Help with alienware drivers!

anon1239

Estimable
Jun 29, 2014
Hi,

After reinstalling windows from some failed drivers, I discovered that some drivers won't install properly. Could someone please give me more help and instructions on how to fix this.

Solution
So it appears that after a several months of using my alienware, the system works perfect! Instead of using the drivers on the disk it came with, I decided to update the bios and install the latest drivers on their website. Didn't need a model number actually, the website was able to detect my hardware issues and deliver me the drivers necessary for it to run.

Hope this helps for anyone having the same issues :D!

anon1239

Estimable
Jun 29, 2014
I will get back to you soon once i get home but the graphics card is the gtx 770m. I accidently overclocked it too high before and the computer crashed. Later, when i turned it on, i tried to open the nvidia panel but it couldnt recognize my video card. Luckily, under the shut down box there was a shield with an exclamation mark whiched i pressed to install updates. To my surprise it installed the drivers for nvidia and has been working with games ever since. I hope this information may help to troubleshoot the problem but i cannot confirm this is a problem i have set up for myself. Sometime later in the month i recieved a bsod. It displayed something about a driver perhaps misfunctioning but that was about it. I later installed a program called whocrashed and it said that perhaps a driver had not been installed or a peice of hardware not recognized. Since then, i have recieved a couple more bsod's but nothing to give me an unbootable machine. After that i checked my hardware under device manager and found a few things quite disturbing. The ethernet had a strange warning symbol next to it. I tried updating it and it seemed to work fine. Later that week i got another bsod. This time when i chose to go back to device manager the ethernet was still messed up! In addition, i tried to format everything and reinstall windows, however i found in the device manager that there was an unknown device. If you read the post below i gave some information on it but otherwise i am unsure what to do or what to install to fix this. Anyways, i will get back to you later on the rest of my hardware, but i hope this helps to clear a few things up. Thanks! :)

anon1239

Estimable
Jun 29, 2014
Sorry i forgot to add this from my other post but here is some more information on the unknown driver: "I tried reinstalling all the drivers though with the resource disk, however there is still one unknown driver and the Ethernet not working. When i click on the unknown driver it gives me the location, the PCI bus. In the resources tab it says the resource type is IRQ and the setting is 0x00000017 (23)."

anon1239

Estimable
Jun 29, 2014
Okay so im not sure exactly how to find the model "number", but if it helps my product is an alienware 17. If I find out the number I will let you know but could you please walk me through on how to find it if it still is important?

The model number should be on a sticker somewhere on the laptop, or printed on the case underneath the battery. You will have to remove the battery if it's printed there. You could also look at the box it came in or your order invoice. There are a whole bunch of different Alienware 17 models, like I said, and they all have different hardware and so they all use different drivers. If you want help, I need a model number.

anon1239

Estimable
Jun 29, 2014
Okay I will check inside the computer in a sec.

In the meantime, can you tell me why I get the error: "Error, cannot update incompatible versions 10.10.0036 -> 4.12.0040" when I tried to update the freefall sensor?

Kayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy! That's what I'm doing is trying to find the drivers for your model, remember? If I knew, we wouldn't be having this conversation. Heh. Frackin' nutty guy. When I find them I'll let you know. I don't know why it's so hard to find them for this model. Everything else out there seems to be no problem.