Help with Gateway MD2614U battery

ghostmechanic

Honorable
May 1, 2012
Hi I'm a long time lurker, first time poster lol. Seriously I've learned a lot from this forum in google searches.

I bought a Gateway MD2614U laptop used to fix up for my kid. It was missing the battery. I thought it would be simple enough to just jump on ebay & buy one. Nope. It appears there were both 11.1 volt & 14.8 volt used in the same models of these laptops. The problem is, how do I know which mine uses? I can't find any rhyme or reason behind what size goes with what hardware or anything else. Crap any time I try to do a google search, as soon as I type battery the only search results I get are friggin ads :fou:

I'd be eternally grateful for any insight :)

Emerald

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2005
you should be able to use either one

the 11.1V is a 6Cell 4400 mAh (original battery)
the 14.8V is a 8Cell 5200 mAh (also referred to as an extended battery since it will give you more up-time)

ghostmechanic

Honorable
May 1, 2012

Ok so the mobo has a voltage regulator that'll just drop the voltage of the larger one down? I just don't wanna fry anything. I've dealt with batteries all my life (I work for a company that makes them for the US military) so in my mind an extended battery would have larger capacity (mAh) not voltage. But I'm gonna trust your word. Like I said, I've learned a lot reading on here & 1 of those things is... You guys know your stuff.

Thank you for the help!