Help with laptop purchase

charly77

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2008
Hi all!

I would appreciate your advice for buying a new laptop in the 500 - 650 Euro range.

I am pretty lost when it comes to laptops / notebooks, so any help will be greatly welcome!

I currently have a 6 year old 13" laptop with a Celeron (not sure about the model) and 1GB RAM. It still works for office work and internet browsing, but I would like to purchase a new one.

Mainly, I would like to use it for playing movies on the TV and when travelling for some gaming (Medieval II: Total War and other old titles), web browsing and office work (decent battery life appreciated!). I already have a desktop for gaming at home.

However, if I can get something better in that price range, I wouldn't mind having good / very good battery life or a laptop that could play WoW, Guild Wars 2, Fifa 15, etc... but this is not really required.

Regarding the screen, I am looking at something in the rage of 13" - 15". I don't mind 15" if I can get something better for the same money.

I don't see the benefits of having a touch screen on the laptop. Let me know if you have a different opinion.

Also, if I can save money, I prefer buying a laptop with no OS or with Linux pre-installed. However, I have seen several brands (Mountain, for example) which sell Linux pre-installed laptops more expensive than laptops with Windows installed. I don't really understand this :S

I have completed the template below to make it easier to understand what I'm looking for.

Please let me know your advice!!!

Thanks!

------------------------------------------------
Approximate Purchase Date: Not in a hurry; probably before the end of the year

Target price: 500 - 650 EUR

System Usage Requirements from Most to Least Important: 1080p video playback in external TV (HDMI), gaming when travelling (games up to 2008), web browsing and office (decent battery life, >4h)

Nice-to-have possibilities (not required): Long battery life (>7h), Gaming (WoW, Guild Wars 2, Fifa 15, ...)

Operating system: I prefer a laptop with no OS or Linux preinstalled.

Other: with DVD player

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Amazon.es, pcbox.es, vantpc.es, alternate.es, pccomponentes.com, mountain.es,... Any will do!!

Brands: I have had H/W from Asus, MSI and Gigabyte, and I'm happy with it. However, I'm open to any brand with good feedback if they provide good after sales support.

Overclocking: No

Screen size: 13" - 14" probably. Don't mind 15" if I can get better hardware for the same money.

Monitor Resolution: Don't care. Will use TV for HD video playback