Solved! HELP WITH LAPTOP UPGRADES

dhaines0866

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2011
Hi everyone,

I am the owner of an Asus g51vx-rx05 and I bought it from Best Buy about two years ago. I have had a question about the possible upgrades I could get with this laptop. I know it wont support a quad core processor. However, I heard that the 2.0 ghz P7350 can bottle neck the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260M is this true? And basically I want to know if I can upgrade the RAM or Graphics Card on this guy. If I cant upgrade the graphics card would upgrading the processor be worth it for gaming. I am very curious because I am looking forward to Diablo 3 and SWTOR Online and I would like to run these games as best as possible all advice is accepted. THanks in advance.

Laptop specs are

http://reviews.cnet.com/laptops/asus-g51vx-rx05-core/4507-3121_7-33712903.html

Solution
Hello dhaines0866;

There are no upgrades that make sense. A slightly faster C2D CPU is more of a sideways upgrade.
That GTX 260M graphics card is actually a good match for a 2Ghz C2D CPU. It's a well balanced combo.
Your best best is to just run the game at the settings that give you the best overall experience.
Hello dhaines0866;

There are no upgrades that make sense. A slightly faster C2D CPU is more of a sideways upgrade.
That GTX 260M graphics card is actually a good match for a 2Ghz C2D CPU. It's a well balanced combo.
Your best best is to just run the game at the settings that give you the best overall experience.

Solution
Not so much.
While the label says 'GTX 260M' it's performance is nearer to a Nvidia 8800GS desktop graphics card than the GTX 260 desktop graphics card.