Help with left tower speaker, sounds bad until pressure is applied

Seththewingman

Prominent
Aug 4, 2017
Okay, so here's the deal. I recently moved with my audio setup, and my left tower speaker is now getting way too much bass and gives off a ton of reverb noise unless I apply slight pressure to the speaker on the side. Then it sounds normal. Everything is set up exactly the same and to my knowledge, the speaker is not blown out.

I have no idea what this means, I honestly don't know alot about audio. But It sounds awful unless I am pressing down on the speaker. Please help me figure out what went wrong.

Solution
Something has come loose and there is some resonance being created.

Maybe some foam padding or other material has degraded and the internals are now touching the speaker sides.

Are you able to open the back and inspect the speaker interior near the side you must press?

Actually you will probably need to look all around inside as the pressure may actually be propagating throughout the case and the actual problem is elsewhere.

Carefully watch what happens inside while pressing. But do not touch anything inside while power is applied.

See what you can find. Use small pieces of wood or plastic to secure loose points. If the "bass/reverb" stops you have found the source location.

Then you can address a more permanent repair.

Something has come loose and there is some resonance being created.

Maybe some foam padding or other material has degraded and the internals are now touching the speaker sides.

Are you able to open the back and inspect the speaker interior near the side you must press?

Actually you will probably need to look all around inside as the pressure may actually be propagating throughout the case and the actual problem is elsewhere.

Carefully watch what happens inside while pressing. But do not touch anything inside while power is applied.

See what you can find. Use small pieces of wood or plastic to secure loose points. If the "bass/reverb" stops you have found the source location.

Then you can address a more permanent repair.

Solution