Help With Mitsubishi DLP TV

SkilletIsWorking

Prominent
May 21, 2017
Hello, I have a Mitsubishi DLP WD-73736, after 8 years of faithful service and 2 bulb changes, calamity struck.

I bought the exact replacement lamp I have used to times before, removed the old lamp, inserted the new one until I felt the faint click, put the screws in, fired it up new lamp working great, until I got this odd smell, at first I thought it was just the new lamp burning some dust and the new lamp smell. However I work on computers, and very soon I recognized the burning plastic smell. Shut it all down, took the back panel, and screws off. Sure enough, lamp is stuck, well I had to rip it out, the connection between the lamp and the cable to the ballast had melted and fused.

Lamp is still good, TV is still good, but I need another connector bracket and cable between the lamp and ballast board, of course Mitsubishi doesn't have parts for this tv anymore (made in 2008). Some tireless searching later, I think this part is it, but I can't be sure at all, https://www.encompassparts.com/item/7670337/Mitsubishi/642B177010/Support_Ballast , the service manual has this listed as a misc, and with no pictures I cant be sure.

On a second note, is it possible to bypass the connector altogether with a wire splice, I was thinking about some ceramic wire nuts, but I noticed the wire insulation between the ballast and lamp is rated for 10kv (10000 volts) and 150C, I know the ceramic would tolerate the heat, but I don't know about that initial burst of voltage is this a doable temporary solution or foolish?

Any help would be appreciated, and yes I know, I probably screwed up inserting the lamp.

Solution
The ceramic Wire nuts worked, spliced the high voltage cable together, used the nuts, TV is working perfectly, Im just gonna do a bit of wiring when I need to change lamps from now on, it almost seems safer this way to considering how flimsy that connection was between the lamp and ballest

SkilletIsWorking

Prominent
May 21, 2017
The ceramic Wire nuts worked, spliced the high voltage cable together, used the nuts, TV is working perfectly, Im just gonna do a bit of wiring when I need to change lamps from now on, it almost seems safer this way to considering how flimsy that connection was between the lamp and ballest

Solution