HELP!!! With my Gateway laptop

Jun 2, 2018
I have tried to restore back to factory settings with disk sent from gateway and after 3rd restore disk is complete I get error message...
Restore failed - Can not find image path:C\IMAGES.TMP_DIR\Install.wim
????????
I don't know what this means nor what to do! Can anyone assist me with this or am I screwed???

It sounds like the disk is either trying to copy files to the drive and it is not working correctly (the drive not the disk) or it is looking for a file on the drive that isn't there or isn't being read by it.

The only thing I can suggest is if you can get to a command prompt to try using "chkdisk" (no quotes) to check the drive for errors.

The parameters for making any repairs, etc. using this command are:

"chkdsk C: /f" (without quotes) This option will attempt to fix any found errors

"chkdsk C: /r" (without quotes) This option will locate for bad sectors and recovery any readable information

"chkdsk C: /x" (without quotes) This option will force the volume you’re about to check to be dismounted before the utility begins a scan.

You can also run it using a combo of them or even all of them, like so... "chkdsk C: /f /r /x" (without quotes).

If the C: drive is in use, type Y to run a scan at your PC’s next restart. If so, exit Command Prompt and restart the computer.