Help with setting up a RX-v371

cardiacatlas

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2012
i recently got a yamaha rx-v371 home theater receiver, which i wish to use with my PC primarily for gaming and also for watching movies, both in 5.1 surround sound. I have a gigabyte Z68M-d2H in my PC with realtech HD audio manager. right now, its outputting stereo through all 5 speakers (don't have a subwoofer), so both rights output the same and both lefts output the same, and the center comes out all of them. Mobo is connected to the reciever through a toslink cable. Is it possible for me to get real 5.1 surround sound with just what i have here, or do i need a separate sound card etc.

jsc

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2004
Yes, it should be possible. I think that either the computer or the receiver is not quite set up correctly.

The toslink cable should be carrying everything you need to the receiver.

since i use my receiver to save on wires i run a single dvi-hdmi cable to the receiver from my video card which carries both sound and video.

you should be able to run an optical cable as well and have everything work out but i've never done it myself.

at least the way i have my cables set up onboard audio properties are disabled. the onboard soundcard might be ignored completely since i do not connect up to it. i'm no expert by all means but i believe the receiver is doing the audio decoding instead of the onboard soundcard. my surround mode depends on what is selected on the receiver and what the source is playing at. the receiver should be the default audio device in your device listings.