Here's a Gun Printed with a Consumer-level 3D Printer

Status
Not open for further replies.

curiosul

Honorable
Apr 18, 2012
So, I'm a criminal that wants to do some gun crime stuff and I want to bypass government gun control measures. Four choices:
1: Steal a gun (free) - traceable, but not to me;
2: Make my own using some steel tubing and whatnot (a few tens of dollars) - untraceable but dangerous
3: Buy one on the black market (a few hundred dollars) - traceable, but not to me
4: Drop a few thousand dollars on a 3D printer and good quality plastic to build what's shown in the article - (probably) traceable to me (google color printers' yellow dots coding) plus most people will laugh what they see me with it in my hand (including kids on the street)
Hmmm, which one should I choose? Keep in mind that 2 and 4 will only have one round (and hard to reload) while 1 and 3 will have 6, 10, 30 etc (and easy to reload)
But most importantly, which one do most people (that use emotion instead of reason to think/vote) think I'll choose?

xenol

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008
Unless you're packing plastic bullets... I'm pretty sure those x-rays will see those very suspicious bullet looking objects

Mark Stone

Honorable
May 21, 2013
1) The plastic straw you just printed has very little say in what direction that projectile is going to go. If it did then we could just print body armor...of plastic straws. I am glad one of these articles dealt with the barrel finally, though to a small degree.
2) Notice they never show a target. This is as much a gun as a hammer, nail and pliers holding a bullet.

blurr91

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2004
Oh no!!! Plastic guns!!! Now everyone can sneak a gun onto airplanes!!! We've been through this when Glock was first introduced in the 1980s. The barrel and the ammunition are still made of metal, and no small amount at that. If crooks really want to make their own guns, just enroll in a metal working shop and anyone can start manufaturing guns in their garage. It isn't hard.

tomc100

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2008
This gun is pretty worthless since it only allows for one shot. After that you're going to be beaten up by everyone around you. Also, it's unlikely to have any accuracy beyond a couple of yards.

jaber2

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2012
Would you ban my woodshop class if I made a gun from wood? how about fiberglass? using a 3D printer to make prototypes is a great idea, don't cheapen it with your need to make a plastic gun.

robochump

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
If it takes all afternoon to fire 9 shots then a minimal threat but unfortunately I can see these types of weapons improve over time. A lil scary and airport scanners will need to scan for dense plastics and certain toys will be exposed as well...lol.

BringMeAnother

Honorable
Apr 22, 2012
I'm mildly for gun control, although I don't really care that much. Was a little worried when people can start making guns in their basement. Watching this reassured me. It's not even stable enough to be use with your hands.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
@BringMeAnother,
People have been making guns in their proverbial basement for hundreds of years. Sure, it is easier today than ever, but that doesn't mean that many people are actually going to do it.
I'm in favor of strict licensing, background checks, fees, etc, but I believe that if you are willing to put the time and money into jumping through all of the hoops that you should be able to buy almost any gun you want.

hotroderx

Distinguished
May 15, 2008
I really think new's organizations need to stop posting new's like this. Anyone with a bit of common since and little understanding of firearms will tell you this is insanely dangerous.
News outlets to continue to post it just encourages people to go out and try it. I think so far we have been extremely lucky no one has been hurt. I also think most these we have seen have been using 22lr ammo which is about as mild as ammo gets.
What happens when someone gets the wild idea to try using 9mm, 38special, or some other higher caliber round.

hotroderx

Distinguished
May 15, 2008
cant edit my original message. I think Toms and other news organizations also need to let people know its illegal to manufacture firearms with out proper licensing etc

hotroderx

Distinguished
May 15, 2008
cant edit my original message. I think Toms and other news organizations also need to let people know its illegal to manufacture firearms with out proper licensing etc

hector2

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2011
I'm guessing there must have been a good reason why firearms have been made with metal all of these years and not with plastic or wooden barrels. Something to do with explosive gun powder, maybe ? I'll stick with the real deal

somebodyspecial

Honorable
Sep 20, 2012
I believe it's illegal to manufacture for SALE. Our 2nd amendment rights allow it as the forefathers intended. You can guy kits to put your own guns together. This surely is no different under the law. The whole point of these things is to keep what our founding fathers intended as law and get around losers who are trying to stop you from owning a gun (Obama comes to mind). When this country was started we all made our own rifles (muskets etc) to arm ourselves with. This is no different.

Status
Not open for further replies.