high disc usage making my laptop run like crap

jgar70

Commendable
Nov 11, 2016
can anyone help with my laptop running like total crap? (high disc usage)

Very slow to open any program, cortana literally just loads if i say tried to search for paint or something. I've tried disabling superfetch since it was taking up a decent amount of resources but am curious if anyone can tell me what i can get rid of in my task manager or if anyone has any tips for me.

HP pavilion
i7-6500 U 2.59ghz
8gb ram
intel intergrated graphics
1tb hhd (unsure of speed)

https://imgur.com/nB1T9T5
https://imgur.com/lWBwtCd

Solution
NOTE: Be very careful when messing around in here. Turning off the wrong thing can cause major problems.

Have you tried going to "Start" and in the search box type "msconfig" (no quotes). Then click on it in the list and go to the "Startup" tab.

Look at what is loading automatically. Is there anything you don't want or need? Like programs running in the background from the start, even though you may not use them all the time? Carefully go through the list and uncheck things you don't want to have load. If you don't know what the item is, look it up before you do anything with it. Then save the changes when you are done and reboot (turn off and back on) the computer.

You should also check the computer for viruses, malware, spyware, etc.
NOTE: Be very careful when messing around in here. Turning off the wrong thing can cause major problems.

Have you tried going to "Start" and in the search box type "msconfig" (no quotes). Then click on it in the list and go to the "Startup" tab.

Look at what is loading automatically. Is there anything you don't want or need? Like programs running in the background from the start, even though you may not use them all the time? Carefully go through the list and uncheck things you don't want to have load. If you don't know what the item is, look it up before you do anything with it. Then save the changes when you are done and reboot (turn off and back on) the computer.

You should also check the computer for viruses, malware, spyware, etc.

Solution