High School Student Expelled for Cursing in Tweet

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DaddyW123

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2010
[citation][nom]eiskrystal[/nom]Coming from an Italian background my father was strict and when i was out of line it was the belt, as he often said "my house, my rules" "you don't like my rules then leave with the cloths you have on you" lesson learned. Heck he kicked me out of the house for not getting a haircut when told.Then your father was a child abuser and the fact he thinks he owns your hair shows what an abusive power trip he was on. Since you couldn't just "leave" as i doubt you had anywhere else to go, he could do whatever he wanted and you would have to obey. Or do you consider forced subservience, and a father who is happy to see you destitute and homeless for a minor misdemeanor to be a "normal" family relationship?As for the school, they should be sued for a gross abuse of power and illegally holding information. Not to mention the fact that no "actual" crime has been committed. The school should be punished severely for this... and all involved should be sacked immediately.[/citation]
I would actually like to know how old you are and if you have children. My parents weren't abusive, but my mom did smack the crap out of me if I really stepped out of line. Many adults today got the belt, or some sort of paddle as discipline - and most of them are perfectly fine, and I'd go so far as to say they are more responsible additions to society than those with little to no discipline. Society today has really blurred the lines between abuse and discipline. My son is only 3 and I love him very much, but I did have to spank him just the other day because he was throwing the mother of all tantrums simply because he didn't want to get dressed. No, we don't spank him often at all if you are worried, and yes I could have waited the half hour to talk/calm him down like we normally do, and then eventually gotten him dressed probably another half hour later. But sometimes enough is enough, and children need to know that there is a legitimate punishment for misbehaving. 5 minutes later he was dressed, I hugged him and told him why he was spanked and we went on with our day.

Now that is a young child throwing a tantrum and my reply is in direct response to the poster above. As for the article itself - yes the school has no right to expel based on this kind of thing free speech.
But there is a thin line here too - what if a tweet or facebook post is causing mental bullying to another student. Even though it was all done outside of school, I would fully support an expulsion from school on those grounds.
Issues need to be dealt with on a case by case basis taking the severity of the offense into account. And to be what most of you would consider the bad guy - I actually don't agree that the school monitoring students tweets as an invasion of privacy. Tweeting and Facebooking is inherently PUBLIC. You aren't saying the F-word in the privacy of your own home - you are displaying it on a billboard! Now how the school is allowed to react to the content should be the ONLY question here.

ringzero

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2011
[citation][nom]DaddyW123[/nom]I would actually like to know how old you are and if you have children. My parents weren't abusive, but my mom did smack the crap out of me if I really stepped out of line. Many adults today got the belt, or some sort of paddle as discipline - and most of them are perfectly fine, and I'd go so far as to say they are more responsible additions to society than those with little to no discipline. Society today has really blurred the lines between abuse and discipline. My son is only 3 and I love him very much, but I did have to spank him just the other day because he was throwing the mother of all tantrums simply because he didn't want to get dressed. No, we don't spank him often at all if you are worried, and yes I could have waited the half hour to talk/calm him down like we normally do, and then eventually gotten him dressed probably another half hour later. But sometimes enough is enough, and children need to know that there is a legitimate punishment for misbehaving. 5 minutes later he was dressed, I hugged him and told him why he was spanked and we went on with our day.Now that is a young child throwing a tantrum and my reply is in direct response to the poster above. As for the article itself - yes the school has no right to expel based on this kind of thing free speech.But there is a thin line here too - what if a tweet or facebook post is causing mental bullying to another student. Even though it was all done outside of school, I would fully support an expulsion from school on those grounds.Issues need to be dealt with on a case by case basis taking the severity of the offense into account. And to be what most of you would consider the bad guy - I actually don't agree that the school monitoring students tweets as an invasion of privacy. Tweeting and Facebooking is inherently PUBLIC. You aren't saying the F-word in the privacy of your own home - you are displaying it on a billboard! Now how the school is allowed to react to the content should be the ONLY question here.[/citation]

I agree that it's not an invasion of privacy. The whole argument on the school's part is that he did it on school equipment. (If he did it at home, then the school is not penetrating his privacy any more than any other person on the Internet.) Now personally I think it's idiotic to have those kind of rock-hard boundaries and yet still allow students to use Twitter on the school network.

If he DID write it at home, then the school has no jurisdiction here. Zero.

I disagree with the expulsion decision, even if he did it on the school network. And I disagree with your example about "mental bullying." What's the purpose behind expulsion? To remove someone from a situation when there are no other options available, I believe. Expulsion happens AFTER you do everything you can to help the student. It's like a foster parent who decides after three days that they don't like their new foster child and sends them packing. I believe the school has the right to expel a student on a whim if they want. I just think it's callous.

11796pcs

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2011
The online world and the classroom should always be treated as seperate. If this was a school twitter account I could see reason for a detention, but this sounds like a personal account and expulsion is way too severe. Swearing on social media is not the same as to a teacher's face and even then I (as a school) would probably only give a student a couple days off.

shanky887614

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2010
wow my school was not that bad.

college is even more relaxed, hell someone got tied up with electrical tape (wither permission of course from the individual) and all they got was a verbal warning after they were untied

xerroz

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2010
This is why you keep your identity as anonymous as possible. I personally stay off the grid completely. An easy way to avoid this is to make your twitter and facebook private, don't follow or add teachers or bosses and you will never have these issues.

wild9

Distinguished
May 20, 2007
Guys, where did he Tweet from? Doesn't he have a reasonable right to Freedom of speech as protected by the First Amendment to the United States Constitution. Without knowing what the specifics of the exclusion it's hard to form a conclusion.

wild9

Distinguished
May 20, 2007
Addendum: Without knowing what the specifics of the exclusion (were), it's hard to form a conclusion.

Also, looking at his age and the fact he's almost finished his studies, I just find it ironic that you can legally own a gun and be sent to fight a war for this country, and yet you can't say the F word on Twitter without the world coming down on your like a ton of bricks. Same old same old..

threehosts

Honorable
Feb 15, 2012
What a f* stupid mother this boy has; suspension!?! How about No punishment at all??? Why the h* should the school care what some teenager writes on Twitter?

holygigi

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2010
Welcome to USA, the world's defender of human rights, free speech and... LOL
The Chinese can learn something from these guys.

Christopher1

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2006
If this is worthy of expulsion, then there are a hell of a lot of students who are worthy of expulsion. Not to mention that this was done OUTSIDE THE SCHOOL which raises First Amendment Free Speech issues.... I swear, sometimes these administrators are power-hungry dipwads who don't think before they abuse their power.

eiskrystal

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
I would actually like to know how old you are and if you have children.

Old enough to know that there is a big difference between a slap on the back of the legs and taking a belt to someone or throwing them out of your house. There is a clear line here that you are deliberately muddying with whatifs. I also doubt you would dump your child on the street for not conforming to your sense of dress.

I'm also old enough to know where the law stands on child abuse... and a belt is child abuse.

The fact that the person in question thinks it's acceptable behaviour to beat children with a belt shows that he HAS in fact been damaged by it... it also significantly raises the chance that he will do the same thing to children in his care. So the question you need to ask is whether you would leave your child in the care of such a person.

I would not.

guruofchem

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2006
I'm sure I'll get flamed for this, but here goes...

No one here knows the full story, in particular the disciplinary history of the student, the school's technology policy, or even whether the tweet was from a school computer or not (this does make a difference). Contrary to what most posters here seem to believe, expelling a student from public school for any offense shy of a felony is quite difficult, so I suspect that there may be more to the kid's history than just the tweet. It's interesting that the mom seems to think suspension would be OK - hints that this isn't the first disciplinary issue for this kid.

Oh, and I'm still waiting for the first posting that actually spells "principal" correctly with consistency - at least Marcus52 got it right once. Love to watch illiterates criticize schooling they don't seem to have taken advantage of themselves...

blazorthon

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2010
[citation][nom]guruofchem[/nom]I'm sure I'll get flamed for this, but here goes...No one here knows the full story, in particular the disciplinary history of the student, the school's technology policy, or even whether the tweet was from a school computer or not (this does make a difference). Contrary to what most posters here seem to believe, expelling a student from public school for any offense shy of a felony is quite difficult, so I suspect that there may be more to the kid's history than just the tweet. It's interesting that the mom seems to think suspension would be OK - hints that this isn't the first disciplinary issue for this kid.Oh, and I'm still waiting for the first posting that actually spells "principal" correctly with consistency - at least Marcus52 got it right once. Love to watch illiterates criticize schooling they don't seem to have taken advantage of themselves...[/citation]

School principal is supposed to be your pal, help you out based on moral principles and laws. LOL I don't see why people mix the word up. Homophones seem to really get people these days, especially principal/principle and they're/there/their. Then there's people trying to sound smart by saying whom, but use it incorrectly every time because they think it is the same as who.

I also agree with you on your first paragraph too. Like many other "outrageous" stories we read about, we know far too little about the situation and circumstances surrounding it to make an informed opinion of it and how it should be reacted to.

Christopher1

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2006
[citation][nom]Marcus52[/nom]I agree with most of what you said, but the "let children be children" concept is often carried too far these days.It is appropriate to make allowances for a person's age; a judge is unlikely to penalize a person convicted of a crime if he is a minor as much as he might an adult, and I think that's good policy. I also think expunging records of minors can be a good thing. However, letting kids off without any disciple at all when they do something wrong is sending the wrong message[/citation]

The problem with that point of view is that many times, there are wrongs on both sides that comes out to balance each other out, thereby meriting little to no punishment.

I.E. in most cases of assault BOTH sides, the assaulted and the assaulter have done some stupid stuff and both contributed to the 'crime' in question. Yes, most times the 'victim' in a crime is not totally without fault for that crime happening, contrary to popular belief, when you get down to the nitty-gritty.

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
[citation]Love to watch illiterates criticize schooling they don't seem to have taken advantage of themselves...[/citation]

Come on; a lot of the bad spelling and grammar on here is simply because one can not edit a post afterwards; and there are a lot of non native English speakers on here as well. After all, this is NOT a US site, but actually owned by a french company !

You never had your fingers type faster than your brain could think; or noticed an error a nanosecond after clicking SUBMIT ?

:)

G

social networks have gotten me a butt load of trouble to the point were i dont even use them except for on my phone and on my own computer, and i carefully add people and dont keep myself logged in even on my own computer and i have monitoring software if i do. i also take it to a whole new level with proxies and ip changers. the trouble i have gotten into for letting my guard down for a second was just f**king ridiculous. its come to the point were if i even get mentioned by someone else i can get into a sh*t storm. the only reason i even partake is to get a hold of people that dont have texting

Status
Not open for further replies.